Thread: Crewe Support group?

Smile Crewe Support group?

Hi everyone,

I am Cathy and new to this site. I currently study psychology at MMU Cheshire and do volunteering with my local mental health unit doing group therapy sessions on anxiety and depression. I have wanted to be a mental health worker since I suffered with extreme post-natal psychosis after having my daughter and spent two years battling crippling depression and panic attacks.

I went through cognitive behavioural therapy where I volunteer now but still suffer greatly with social anxiety and it badly affects my confidence in my ability to be able to fulfil my career. I often feel my illness will stop me helping others suffering with it and makes me feel sometimes like hypocrite when I am really struggling yet trying to give positive advice to others.

When I went for my therapy I was given the impression "exposure tactics" would cure my anxiety disorder and I would never have an issue with it again. Over the years I have found this to be not only untrue but detrimental to being able to cope with this illness as I believe it is a constant ongoing thing you learn to deal and live with that gets easier but never fully goes away. In positivity though, we all need some anxiety as it helps us preform better but not when it makes us cry, fearful and panic. Its getting the balance - and that is extremely difficult.

Anyhow, I was hoping to maybe make some friends who equally struggle like me and could maybe build a group of support in Crewe. Maybe if we became good friends and meet ups went well after we all got to know each other we could tackle our issues together. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks and take care.

Cathy x

Re: Crewe Support group?

Hi cathy I live in crewe and suffer from depression anxiety I am intersted

Hi, my name is Samm.

I am definitely interested in a support group being set up in Crewe. I went to one when I lived in Stoke and found that it helped having others around that were in the same situation as me, I suffer with anxiety and depression. If this is definitely looking at going ahead, can I please be included in the plans?

Thanks
    Samm

hi i would be interested in a group meeting i have social anxiety am from crewe

Quote Originally Posted by missjones2910 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am Cathy and new to this site. I currently study psychology at MMU Cheshire and do volunteering with my local mental health unit doing group therapy sessions on anxiety and depression. I have wanted to be a mental health worker since I suffered with extreme post-natal psychosis after having my daughter and spent two years battling crippling depression and panic attacks.

I went through cognitive behavioural therapy where I volunteer now but still suffer greatly with social anxiety and it badly affects my confidence in my ability to be able to fulfil my career. I often feel my illness will stop me helping others suffering with it and makes me feel sometimes like hypocrite when I am really struggling yet trying to give positive advice to others.

When I went for my therapy I was given the impression "exposure tactics" would cure my anxiety disorder and I would never have an issue with it again. Over the years I have found this to be not only untrue but detrimental to being able to cope with this illness as I believe it is a constant ongoing thing you learn to deal and live with that gets easier but never fully goes away. In positivity though, we all need some anxiety as it helps us preform better but not when it makes us cry, fearful and panic. Its getting the balance - and that is extremely difficult.

Anyhow, I was hoping to maybe make some friends who equally struggle like me and could maybe build a group of support in Crewe. Maybe if we became good friends and meet ups went well after we all got to know each other we could tackle our issues together. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks and take care.

Cathy x
    That would be brill I live in Crewe and suffer and im having CBT now but it doesn't seem to help me I m looking to make new friends who are in the same boat

Hi. Just wondered if anything came of this support group? Struggled to find any sort of support in the area and came across this site. Would definitely be interested

I am interested to as I'm 32 male from Crewe. Anxiety depression and aspergers aswell.

Yes it would be good. I get lonely on my own I'm 32 got anxiety depression and aspergers.

Thread Information