Thread: Rotten taste in throat

Rotten taste in throat

PLEASE PLEASE READ!!!!

Hi, I have been getting a rotten food taste on and off in the back of my throat for last 8 months. I can only taste it when I kind of " suck up" saliva from the back of my throat (sorry to be so gross). I have had a post nasal drip for years and also get those white tonsil stones which I know can cause bad taste but I have had them for years also without this bad taste. So I am worried what can be causing this. The only thing that has changed is my antidepressant from sertraline to citalopram. My husband says that he can't smell anything on my breath but I get very worried and anxious as it has been going on a while that it could be sign of serious problem.

I have mentioned it to my GP on several occasions and he doesn't seem to say anything or seem very interested intestested which makes me feels relieved but then when I get anxious it worries me. Has anyone ever had anything similar?
    Last edited by hyper; 03-02-13 at 18:08. Reason: Addition

Re: Rotten taste in throat

I think ot might be due to the nasal drip, I've noticed a bad taste with that.
    Also tonsil stones can cause a bad taste and smell too.
    How are your teeth and gums?
    A dentist or an ENT might be slightly more helpful? a bad taste but no other symptoms doesn't seem dangerous but I understand that it's highly uncomfortable for you .

Thanks for advice, I do have problems with teeth, I have had root canal treatment recently, just this feels like it is right in the back of the throat. I will mention it to my dentist, thanks

I get a bad taste in my throat if my sinuses are infected, maybe you have a bit of a chronic sinus infection causing the post nasal drip.

The best thing for this would be the corsodyl (cant spell it properly lol) mouthwash, then if it is the gums/teeth it will help heal them and also do away with the bad taste, also good to gargle with it for nasal drip problems too.

Hi

I get a bitter taste in my mouth and throat when I am anxious. Have not had it for a few months as I have been feeling okay, but anxiety is back a bit and now getting the bitter taste on and off. It is amazing what anxiety can do to you... Hope it clears up for you.

Hi there

I know how you feel.
    I am currently freaking out over tonsil stones. I have had them for years and they really haven't done me any harm.
    For some odd reason (after looking at google) i have decided to start panicking about these bloody stones. I think mainly because it is something i cannot control and i am worried they are 'stuck' in my mouth.
    I am thinking about going to have my tonsils removed so i don't get them any more but privately that costs £1,500.00
    Urgh, i don't know why i have suddenly developed a problem over this. I don't want it to become a serious problem either
    I never had a problem before.
    It's another excuse for my anxiety to rear it's ugly head

If i had any advice and as difficult as it is you just need to STOP thinking about it.
    If you think there is a problem it will become a problem. I started panicking over a 'hair' in my throat recently which wasn't even there and luckily i got over it after a few days.
    I am going to try and take my mind off these 'stones' by trying to remain positive and keeping my mind on other things. It is really difficult, believe me i understand but just try and keep positive and i am sure you will be fine.
    It's weird how much worse you can make a problem when your anxious over it. It snowballs out of control.

Lets hope we both get over it soon : )

XX

Thread Information