Thread: OCD fear of toilets and germs ect..

OCD fear of toilets and germs ect..

I have some OCD at the moment where I dislike public toilets and so on and have to go around all different ones to find a clean one. If it has a poo stain or something on the pan or urine on the seats I tend to avoid (even if it was water or just something which I suspected was dirt or germs but maybe not)..this can be awkward if there's only one cubical in a toilet and I have to hold it in..

Also the odd time I've managed to get a sight mark on the toilet seat myself which makes me anxious about using toilets. A few nights back I had to shower to be clean but what if your out and say a bit's on the seat or stain and you have to continue with your day? Some people have suggested wipes but that's not for me and not many carry them around with them.

So how do other people cope? Do we all go around with urine or maybe the odd mark of poo? like it might help my anxiety if I know other non OCD people can cope with using public toilets and maybe suffer not being totally clean? Things like urine tiny drops going near clothes also make me anxious but I'm trying to beat it..

So how does everybody else cope?

Re: OCD fear of toilets and germs ect..

I also have the same problem. In fact, I avoid public toilets all together. In my eyes, they're disgusting, unclean and totally germ-ridden places.

I can cope with it fine as long as I'm not out on a day trip or something and I have no choice but to use a public toilet. When I go out I make sure I don't drink before going out and make sure I won't be out for too long. It's going to sound bad but if I feel like I need to go and I'm in town, I just wait until I get home, because I absolutely refuse to use public toilets.

Since I'm in the same boat as you in a way, then I don't really have any advice. I just know how you're feeling.

.....and a ninja.

Thread Information