Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sertraline 50mg

Sertraline 50mg

Hi there,

I have been taking Sertraline 50mg for 1 week, and have had ridiculous side effects. Loss of appetite, serious dry mouth/throat, loose stools and jaw clenching. I have decided to stop taking it altogether as the amount of stories i have read online about some of these side effects not fading away, is ridiculous. Just wondering how long it will take for the drug to completely be out of my system? As in how long will it take for these side effects to disappear!?

Re: Sertraline 50mg

It should largely clear from your system very quickly, especially since you haven't been taking it for very long. The side effects should start to clear up pretty fast too. I took Sertraline for a year and had awful side effects for the first few weeks, but these gradually disappeared while still taking and I did get a lot of benefit from the drug in the end. I had no long term consequences. I did worry at the start just like you and it is a tough road to go down, but it paid off when I began to function normally again and I withdrew from it a year on with no major problems.

Hi, I'm on my second week. First three days were very hard. Now started to feel a bit better but have problems with sleep. Somedays just falling asleep around 8-9pm because feel very tired and sleepy and then wake up around 3-4am. Sometimes try to go to bed latter hoping to sleep at least till 6am but sleep less. I take my 50mg in the morming around 8-9am and feel pretty bad till 2-3pm. Can't eat much in the morning and lunch. But at tea time seems ok. The worst bit is when you eake up in the night and feeling a bit anxious and strange thoughts runnung through your head. Just feel like not me. Sometimes feel very low.But I know it's too early yet for feeling much better. I'm going to see my doctor in 1 week (after 3 weeks on Sertaline) will se what she will tell me.

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

I started CBT as well. But I think at the moment I feel bad physically and emotionally partly due to the medecine.

Hi I've been on 50mg 6 days now. The side effects for me haven't been too bad, just extra tiredness, stomach feels a bit sort of full and my throats very slightly feels like it has a bit of a lump/swollen. Some nights I've had a sleep or rest on bed for maybe 2 hours then get back up. I'm a bit frustrated at not noticing any benefit yet but these kinds of medication take time and the side effects lessen after the first few weeks.

I'm going to stick with it and I think you should do the same too. Give it a chance to work and for the side effects to lessen.

I came off it completely, doctor said i should due to the side effects. My appetite has returned, thank the lord! However the throat sensation i had is still there, although the jaw clenching has eased some! Im now off all drugs completely, just to see how i am in general, and then i can see what problems i have, whether i still suffer from serious anxiety attacks or whether i can cope with them if they are minimal. Up to now only had a small few and have managed them, its just this throat sensation/ mouth sensation that i need to get rid of then i should be fine! )

I'm going to stick with it as well. 3 years ago I had bad anxiety and was prescribed cetalopram - it was much harder. I think they are stronger, I felt terrible. Sertaline seems softer. But I'll see how it goes and I wonder if my doctor will increase my dose to 100mg or will leave 50mg.
    I had a good night sleep tonight (from 9.30pm till 3.45am) and then just was laying in bed trying to relax. So feel better in general. But what I noticed even when you are on medicine there will be good days and not very good days. Strange - I don't know why it is like this.
    Just need to wait till I will feel better and tell my self that with each day I'm getting closer to recovery.

Its funny how it effects people so differently. I was on citalopram and at this stage on 50mg of sertraline at 7 days in I wouldnt really know im on anything, the side effects have reduced already for me.

I guess it might change once I go up as I suspect i'll be increased to 100mg soon.

had a terrible night, was sick at 5am, just could not sleep at all. feel so weak and tired. does anybody else feel the same on sertraline?

Maybe you could try taking them at night instead? Thats what my doctor wanted me to do. I think that way the strongest effects of it are while you're alseep, if anything I think it helps me sleep.

My doctor told me to take them in the morning. She told it's better, I don't know why. I think my problem is that yesterday I didn't have any supper and if I don't eat for a long I can feel sick and be sick. I know this medicine make you feel sickish as well. I struggle to eat in the morning and lunchtime. I feel much much better now. I would tell normal. I don't know what was wrong with me last night. May be medicine starts to work. Don't know.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information