Thread: Mass in rectum?

Mass in rectum?

Hi guys. Freaking out again.

I keep feeling like i've not emptied my rectum after a BM. I've been having constant feeling of stools stuck in rectum for the last week. I've had this sensation in the past but it's got to the stage where i feel it so heavily. Nothing seems to help - not another BM, not a change in diet, not softer stools or bigger ones. It's just there all the time. Without providing TMI, i did have a feel inside and could not feel stools but it does feel weird and lumpy up there :(

My first thoughts are bowel cancer/rectal cancer which has now spread - a tumorous mass which is giving me the feeling of having stools up there when in reality there isn't :

I did complain to my GI docs several months ago about my changing bowel habits etc and he did a mini rectal scope but couldn't see nothing other than some bits of stool. But it wasn't a colonoscopy so how he can safely assume it's not the worst from that alone and being below the age of 50 idk.

I'm just so scared. Have booked appointment to see him again on Thurs. So petrified he will feel/see something ominious there again :( Does it sound like impacted stool (which i would assume would give me worse symptoms?), psychosomatic sensations or cancer? I'm consumed with fear.

Re: Mass in rectum?

I had the same thing a few months ago. I was completely convinced that it was cancer. I had 4 doctors do rectal examinations and all were completely normal. The full feeling lasted about a month. It was like a feeling of pressure and urge to go to the toilet (without actually eeding to go) It felt worse when walking around and particularly when going from sittibg to standing. In the end it just passed. Although I still don't know for sure what was the main cause of the full sensation I did have a small hemorrhoid at the time, for which i was using anusol suppositories. I was also having a bout of IBS and anxiety. And I was also having coccyx pain due to poor sitting posture.

So basically what I'm saying is I'm sure its nothing to worry about. Get your doc to have a look to reassure you. And maybe try anusol?

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

Just realised your post was a while ago! What was the outcome to your problem just out of interest?

Hi Lilly

Thanks so much for your response. I visited a GI doc not long after posting. He couldn't see anything. He performed a rigid sigmoidoscopy. He laughed and said I'd live for now since every time I see him, I think he's about to diagnose with me with the Big C. I still don't feel fully satisfied though. He said he could see it was a bit inflammed up there and said it was a fissure so he gave me some suppositries. I haven't finished taking them :(

The feeling of having something up there has subsided but I have another problem in that everytime I go to the toilet, about 10 mins later I get that rumbling gas feeling and feel like I have to go again. I'll try and go and it will come out but its an ongoing feeling. I went three times the other, and I know that's not my normal routine. Can this really be IBS. I thought IBS was more a constipation-diarehea alternation issue (which I get), and pain etc. Not this constant sensation of needing the toilet.

Since my GI is private I know that he will say that I should just do colonoscopy to put my own my mind at rest but I know colonoscopy's are incredibly painful even with PainKillers. And I've been scoped for other things in the past and I'm worried about having another one on my list. They'll just think i'm a nutter who likes invasive procedures. Ugh.

ETA: I've also lost a few kilos for no apparent reason. Eating the same if not more. I've also had vaginal thrush for like a WHOLE month that's not clearing up no matter what medication i take for it. I read somewhere that someone got diagosed with BC when he initially assumed it was a yeast infection so now i'm back to thinking its something ominious again. I do have T1 diabetes so not sure if any of that is related. Do you think I'm ok? I can't bear this.
    Last edited by Miela; 25-02-13 at 16:18.

"I keep feeling like i've not emptied my rectum after a BM"
    "constant sensation of needing the toilet"

all sounds like ibs to me
    i get both these symptoms regularly with pain and bloating but i dont suffer constipation or diarrhea
    i go through phases of having this and have done for a few years now
    my mum is exactly the same(sometimes i will go 3-4 times in the morning alone)
    its really quite annoying
    when it starts happening i normally try and eat better more greens etc and i also take a soluble fiber drink
    then it goes away for a few months then starts creeping back(usually when my anxiety is high)

It sounds like IBS but i'm also worried it could be something else. Changes in bowel habits, loose stools in morning, intermittent abdominal pain, incomplete evacuation. I have all these but it's getting worse and i'm checking my stools constantly. Today I had a BM and found loads of black peppered seeds in there. Can't recall anything I ate with seeds in it last night. Are these the coffee ground stools that are indicative of bowel cancer?!! :( I just feel like to cry tbh. I might just need to brave that colonoscopy and plan my funeral.

Read my thread on colonoscopy thread, I had a colonoscopy in October 2013 and is not as bad as people think, I am as soft as they come so if it didn't hurt me then I think you should be fine
    Did you ever get to have one?

I didn't have a colonoscopy. But think I should just get it out the way. Did you have anesthesia?

Thread Information