Thread: Emet and Chronic Illness

Emet and Chronic Illness

Hi all,

I've noticed since joining that emet seems to be a really common phobia, nice to know I'm not alone but sorry to hear so many people have it

I've had emet since a teen but managed to get quite a bit better and was living 90% normally. However, since I became unwell it's spiralled out of control. Stress makes the illness worse but I'm constantly anxious because I feel ill + worry about v* so it's just a neverending cycle.

Does anyone else struggle to deal with on-going illness and emet? I just can't really find a way out of this, have tried various treatments etc but as the physical illness isn't fully controllable, I can't seem to control the anxiety.

Anyone with any advice or anyone in the same situation please get in touch

Re: Emet and Chronic Illness

I worry about s*** ALL the time, and I feel ill most days in one way or another. So yeah, it's neverending.

I am starting to think about any symptoms I get, instead of just automatically thinking that every little thing will lead to me being s***. I don't know how I started doing this, it's only very recently I've been able to do it. So now I consider that it might be acid, or blood sugar fluctuations, or hunger or even anxiety itself. It's really just a case of taking a few minutes to really think about how I feel before going into a complete panic!

Isn't this part of some therapy or other, like CBT maybe? I know I've read about 'catching the thought' somewhere...

Anyway, you're not alone xx

Re: Emet and Chronic Illness

Hi Angelai,

I think it's really common for people with emet to over-analyse physical feelings and maybe think they're more concerning than they really are. Anxiety etc definitely makes this worse so truly a vicious circle!

I've been stressing myself out with work etc recently and started to get a bit run down, felt worse etc so going to try doing some relaxation/hypno stuff and try and get things into perspective

Thread Information