Thread: Dizziness, headaches, nausea.. please help

Dizziness, headaches, nausea.. please help

Hi all

For the last week or so I have been experiencing weird headaches and dizziness. It is not constant but is there more often than its not, especially the dizziness, which is making me sick. All I can do is lie down in bed but I still feel dizzy then! Its really starting to freak me out now.

I went to the gp who wants me to wean off my meds, Zoloft (50mg) which I have been on for 6 weeks. He believes they may be the culprit.

I do feel better in some ways since starting them, but I can't take this dizziness and the brain zaps. I also find my muscles twitching of their own accord. I am terrified there is something neurologically wrong, but the doctor reassured me there is not and if the symptoms persist he will send me for a ct scan for peace of mind. He said its too much of a coincidence that these symptoms started after taking the medication.

Anyone else experienced anything similar? This is starting to ruin my life, I can't even face going to work the last few days :(

Thanks

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

I also just noticed 5 or 6 hives on my forearms, they aren't itchy though, I noticed them when I first started taking the Zoloft and they were itchy then, but went away and now they are back. I wonder if I am having an allergic reaction to Zoloft?

Re: Dizziness, headaches, nausea.. please help

Anyone have any advice? :(

Hi Tasha

The dizziness, brain zaps and muscle twitching can all be side effects of the antidepressant and are quite common. That's not to say they are any less distressing and worrying about neurological problems is understandable. However, this is also very common with many anxiety sufferers with brain tumour, stroke and MS being the main worries. Whilst its important to go with any tests your doctor thinks necessary I do think his initial diagnosis of this being related to the drug is probably more likely or it's simply your anxiety manifesting itself in this way.

Your doctor is obviously monitoring you so I would take some comfort in this. Dizziness, brain zaps and muscle twitching (mainly at night) are all symptoms I have experienced at some time. I too thought there was some neurological problem but a ct scan showed nothing wrong. I still get occasional dizziness but accepting that it's anxiety related helps me to breathe through it.

Hope you get this sorted and start to feel better soon

Sal

Thanks for your reply sal.

I am going out of my mind. I'm so exhausted from worrying. Unfortunately I think the only thing that will stop my worries is a CT or MRI, but then I feel I am just feeding the beast! I just can't stop myself from thinking the worst.

Thanks again, take care x

Thread Information