Thread: OCD back - harm/impulses/urges to harm

OCD back - harm/impulses/urges to harm

Hi there - the last time i posted on here was 2009 and now i am back!

my ocd flared up just before christmas due to me forgetting to take my meds so much so that they had left my system (citalopram).

my thoughts are focussed primarily around my son and the impulse that i will carry out the thought of hurting him with my hands. my dose of citalopram was upped to 40mg last week. i have had good and not so good days. but just want to get back to feeling normal again.

fed up of not feeling happy enough to be able to dismiss such thoughts.

is there anyone else out there can offer some advice???

Re: OCD back - harm/impulses/urges to harm

Have you read overcoming OCD which has stories like yours. Also there is a book called the imp mind I haven't read that one but if you google it people think its really good for intrusive thoughts.

You know deep down that you don't want to do the things you are thinking do believe in yourself !!! Because you won't !! ignore the thoughts and they will go !
    You can do it ! Xxxx

Thank you. I borrowed a book from the library on OCD which is quite helpful.

i know i dont want to do such things, its just the impulse/urge to do that is hard to ignore :(

The Imp of the Mind is a good book x

i have the urges/impulses too Louise, they are centred around my son mainly as well but also can come on when I'm just walking past someone or talking to someone. I can cope with the thoughts it is the urges as it really feels like you're going to do it doesn't it ? I got told that the urges are in fact fear and adrenaline pumping through your system which makes sense as I get sensations in my arms and shoulders which I assume is the flight or fight response. You're probably like me as I have never carried out a violent act in my life and apparently ocd tends to make you feel completely opposite to your true self. It is awful though but if we stick at it I'm sure we'll get better. Hope you improve soon, good luck (imp of the mind is a good book by the way)

Once the citalopram has fully kicked in (dose increases take 4-6 weeks to take effect) you should notice that these thoughts have much less effect. The prevalence of such thoughts seems to be linked to anxiety - so try to do things that lessen anxiety. E.g. limit caffeine intake, have chamomile tea, limit alcohol intake (being hungover is pretty bad for anxiety), try to moderate sugar levels (fruit juice is pretty bad by itself as it can produce a sugar spike) and take regular exercise. And try to get 8 hours sleep if you can (easier said than done though!)

Hi. Wow. Glad I found this site. Finally, someone talking not about "Thoughts" but the horrid urges that come with them. The thoughts I can handle, the urges, drive me nuts. My urges are geared towards my cats whom I love. I smacked one about a year ago... then that brought me into therapy. Was told I wasn't "crazy" just had classic O with Harm Urges. I can't stand it anymore. From the moment I wake up to the moment I sleep... it's all consuming. I was told to engage in the behavorial therapy without any medication, which I did, but the therapist seemed more concerned with my purchasing books than really helping... I'm in the US, NJ. Reading others posts makes me feel a bit less alone... but my urges seem to focus on all the innocent, loving, defenseless things in life... and they're so, so strong. Thanks for listening.

I totally agree the thoughts I can cope with but the urges are so horrid, you really feel you are going to act. I'm having such a horrid episode of intrusive thoughts and have been unwell for a couple of months. I been unwell in the past but this is the worst ever. I feel so depressed and struggling to see a way out.

Thread Information