Thread: Mood dip?

Mood dip?

Hi all. I started taking propanolol about a month ago and at first it was great, I felt in control and was starting to even feel happy about everything. After a few weeks though my mood suddenly crashed and I've found it hard to feel good since, even doing things that would normally make me happy dont really have any effect on me. I've started to also feel less in control because of this. I keep feeling like im right on the edge of bursting into tears. Is this mood dip normal with propanolol? Does it go away and lift up again? Do I maybe need more help? I was reading about CBT and it sounded useful, can a GP refer you for this and how long is the waiting list usually? Im seeing my doctor again next week but I'd like to have a clearer idea of what's going on before I do. Dont want to waste time talking about nothing and not getting anywhere! Any and all comments welcome!

Re: Mood dip?

From reading your posts, it would seem you may have some degree of depression, have you discussed this with your GP?

Are you sure it's anxiety you have? I'm only asking as it's not possible to tell from your posts as you've only been here a short while.

I also ask because I've been on propranolol on and off for 20 years and never had any mood problems caused by it.

As for CBT that can certainly help if you suffer from faulty thinking, or worry about the future.

It depends on where you are in the country, as to the waiting time, but my own Doc guessed at maybe 2 months to get an assessment, then maybe another 3 beore starting counselling. That's in my area of Yorkshire BTW.

I had CBT in 2007 and I was of some small value, although my anxiety just shifted to other things :( I'm sure it can help some people though. It's certainly worth seeing if your GP will refer you.

Re: Mood dip?

Thank you for replying. It had been suggested to me by a friend that I may have some level of depression going on too and I have suspected it as a possibility too. Im fairly certain I do have anxiety, the symptoms are all there anyway, the panic attacks etc, but I do worry that the anxiety is teamed up with some depression and in dealing with the anxiety side I opened up to the depression side. I haven't discussed it with my GP yet but I see them this week so will then. I do tend to think too far into the future, usually gravitate towards worst case scenarios and lose control of the thought process, that's why I wondered about CBT, again something I'll be discussing with my GP. I was getting wary of the propanolol which is why I made this thread, reading your reply made me feel better about continuing to take it and knowing it most likely isn't them causing this gives me one less thing to worry over, always a plus! Thank you again

Thread Information