Thread: Late, heavy and painful periods. Any advice pls x

Late, heavy and painful periods. Any advice pls x

Hi guys

Back again. Really after some advice. Stupidly been googling again so my head is completely cluttered with lots of horrible stuff.

I am having a hideous period which was about 2 weeks late, started off with niggling pain, random brown spotting for first two days, with a couple of tiny clottty bits, then started full force on day 5 with heavy bleeding, pelvic and back pain and horrible pain in my left groin and leg.

I am not sure if I count the spotting days as my period, but I am now day 8 of heavy bleeding and show no signs of stopping! I feel worn out with it. I am having to change my tampon about every 2 hours and feel like I need a blood transfusion!

I came off the pill last August and can't quite remember but think periods were pretty normal. However since November they have been heavy and erratic. My period at Christmas was a month late!

I went to the doc last week and she looked at my cervix and said all looked normal as far as she could see. My smear is due August and she said the hospital are very strict about not doin them before this time. My last smear 3 years ago was normal. Doesnt it take years for cancer to develop if changes found?

i had a blood test on thurs testing thyroid and hormones. Got to wait a week for results.

I had a transvaginal ovarian ultrasound last October which was normal. Does anyone know if they look at your cervix and uterus during these scans? Tempted to phone my doctor and ask but I know they think I'm neurotic!

I am not having any interval bleeding, just late heavy periods with this latest one being the worst. I used to bleed heavily for first few days, then turn to brown spotting and finish completely on day 5. A few abdo cramps but certainly not back and leg pain.

Worried as usual. Wish I knew what problem was. Worried some kind of uterine, cervical cancer!! :( First day of half term and have lots of nice things planned with kids but don't feel like doing anything.

I know none of us are docs but any advice so so welcome

Thanks H xxxx

Re: Late, heavy and painful periods. Any advice pls x

Hi H,

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time of it at the moment.

I suffer from stupidly heavy periods, although I never used to, but my doctor and nurse tell me periods can change as you age (and I mean age in general, not age as in grow elderly!), as well as when you have kids (I have 2 children and my periods only changed a few years after my second).

Cervical cancer is very slow growing, and as far as I'm aware, the cervix shows signs of changes a long time before cancer develops, and even if the cervix does show changes, this doesn't mean cancer will develop.

I had cells removed from my cervix before Christmas, but they appeared over 2 years before that and they monitored them - that's how slowly the change can take! And my cells had only progressed to CIN II so they weren't even cancerous, but obviously might have become cancerous over time.

So I guess what I'm saying is, our bodies change over time regardless, and just because your periods are different, doesn't mean its anything to be worried about. August will be fine for your smear, and the investigations you've had/you're having will rule out anything nasty.

One thing you might want to factor in is anaemia. Because of my heavy periods I have to be super hot on eating plenty of iron rich foods (with plenty of foods/drinks containing vitamin c to aid absorption). Anaemia can make you feel all shades of rubbish and won't be helping your mindset either.

Stay strong x

Hi again

Can't believe I am now day 9 of heavy bleeding. I really thought things were slowing down last night, but have leaked everywhere this morning again and having to change my tampax super within 2 hours.

Leg, groin and back pain still...... when will this end? This is not normal for me

Feeling really sad and fed up today :(

X

H :(( So sorry to hear that.

If I was you I'd pop back to the docs and explain that the heavy periods are affecting your quality of life. When I went my doctor offered tranexamic acid which helps reduce the flow.

As an aside to help comfort you with the blood loss - after I had cells removed I didn't heal properly and bled for 8 weeks out of 9!! I was terrified that I was going to bleed to death but the doc reassured me I was going to be okay and I was. You can lose a lot of blood this way and not suffer any lasting problems (anaemia yes, but that can be sorted).

So go and talk to your doc, mention the tranexamic acid and see what he says. But periods DO change, and just because they do, it doesn't mean there is a problem x

Thread Information