Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diazepam withdrawal from hell

diazepam withdrawal from hell

one week after ditching 25mg previously 30 shaking sweating high heart rate high blood sugar pounding headache aching body. feeling like a junkie. cursing the day gp started me on 30mg 7 months ago. had the paramedics out thought I was going to be hospitalised. GPS and cmht arguments about course of action. lyrica and diazepam combo aggravating Asthma.... thought breathing more important than slow withdrawal. ..feel horrible. . Atos medical Wednesday...general Aniexty disorder in full flow...don't want a week of withdrawal symptoms undone by Atos. feeling overwhelmed. Any advice Hannah x

Re: diazepam withdrawal from hell

Hello Hannah,
    I was prescribed diazepam but I wasn't warned that it is addictive. I think I took it for around 2 or 3 years but when I decided to come off them it took me 6 months before I managed it.

It sounds like you're really having problems so you have to be very careful to reduce slowly to avoid withdrawal symptoms. The important word to remember is "percentages". For instance, if you reduce from 30mg down to 15mg it mans a 50% reduction so you'll almost certainly get a bad reaction.

Therefore, I found the only way to safely come off them was to reduce by small percentages no matter how small the dose was. Even reducing from 2mg down to 1mg gave me a bad reduction because it was a 50% drop.

My advice to you would be firstly, it's very important that you tell your doctor/psych what you're attempting. If they say it's ok, then draw a medication chart so you know how much you're taking each day. To give you an example...

If you're starting on 25 mg, try reducing by 10% or by the smallest amount your mg size tablets will allow...

After 1 to 2 weeks, reduce by another 10% or smallest amount possible again...and so on.

If you get a reaction, it'll mean you're reducing by too much too quickly in which case go back to the existing dose for a week longer or reduce by a smaller dose than you originally attempted. The withdrawal symptoms will ease.

Your body needs time to adjust each time you reduce and it'll notice ANY large percentage reduction even on the smallest doses so Always remember to reduce by Small percentages and Only reduce after a week or two to allow time for your body to adjust. Any bad reaction, just go back up and reduce by a smaller amount after another week or so.

If you don't, you'll be going cold turkey and your anxiety will shoot through the roof as I found out so you Must be careful to avoid the symptoms.

This is why most gp's are so reluctant to prescribe diazepam because it's very easy for sufferers to want to take them every day and get addicted to them. Diazepam works best as "one offs" because of their sedative qualities and when used in such a way I think they're better than modern ad's which were designed to tackle depression.

Nothing bad will happen if you reduce too quickly. You'll just "feel" ill but the symptoms will quickly ease if you follow what I've said above.

As I say though, it is Very Important you tell your gp/psych to make sure they agree to coming off them.

Hope that helps. Be patient and don't try to rush it and you'll be ok.

Had to go cold turkey :-( 25mg to zero. diazepam and progabalin both cause respiratory distress. I am asthmatic it was causing breathing problems. I do feel ill. But it was cold turkey or hospital treatment for asthma. my new gps are behind me with ditching the diazepam. cmht and my psychiatrists wanted a 0.5 reduction 2 weekly and a 75mg increase of progabalin weekly. They are never meant to be prescribed together except in exceptional circumstance. I was diazepam dependent from day 2 hence the overlap. my first gp prescribed 15mg day one 30mg day 2. diazepam and lyrica both work on gaba and can cause agitation combined. Day 7 shaking like a junkie tyciocardic and high blood sugar muscular pain banging headache but breathing better. stressed about Atos tomorrow want to take emergency diazepam. But a year of asthma and hospitals......it's staying in the box. I have high tolerance anyway. 30mg together doesn't touch a panic attack. just going to have to ride out the withdrawal. at least when I am a dribbling hyperventilating sweating and passing out even Atos can't say I am work fit. positive from a negative I hope. Thanks for the advice bill it's how it should be done. But nothing about my medical treatment is quite to plan x x

Hello Hannah
    I'm sorry you're going through it but I can understand why you have no choice. Bear with it Hannah, the feelings will pass as your body adjusts. You'll be ok.

I know it's no consolation but at least it highlights the pros and cons of diazepam and you've helped to warn others of the dangers of their addictiveness.

Thanks bill. I would warn anyone off of benzos. Horrible things.Survived my Atos medical. Examiner was lovely. I was a shaking babbling mess. She sympathized with me and was very kind. was so surprised after horror stories. headache is starting to lift peak flows up shakes and sweats going down. The 1mg step downs made me so anxious and twitchy couldnt have done a year more of that.on day 8 benzo free passed the 200 hrs half life. I guess I have nothing left in my system. I didn't crack had it on me all day. The worst bits done. onwards and upwards. To anyone else Don't Take Them please. looking forward to a benzo free future

Hello Hannah
    I'm glad all went ok for you today. It must have been extremely difficult for you.

Odd to say I know but I feel Diazepam can actually be more effective than modern ad's but only if taken as "one offs" in which case their sedative qualities can help to relax us. The trouble is though that when we suffer from daily anxiety we feel we need them every day and that's when the problems start because we can quickly become addicted to them. There is another problem though and that is that as the body gets used to a dose, they lose their effect and you end up taken higher and higher doses making it even more difficult to come off them. At the higher doses such as 30mg I honestly believe they contributed towards causing my panic attacks but I only realised it when I came off them so in effect the diazepam ended up working against me.

If I had a bad attack, I think I'd actually prefer taking a diazepam because they work quickly and help to get you through a bad few hours whereas the modern ad's work by improving your mood and they take much longer before you feel any benfit from them. However, I also feel these modern ad's are much more effective for depression rather than anxiety because although they help people to feel happier with life, they don't actually tackle the causes that are causing their anxiety such as stress at home/work or fears/phobias.

There is another aspect about meds though and that is that when we take meds, they're a daily reminder about having anxiety. Anxiety feeds off us thinking about it. The more we think about fear, the more fear we feel. A little scenario...It can mean that every day we get up, our first thought is to take a med to fight off the anxious feelings. Just the thought of thinking we Must take a med is creating the thought "I suffer from anxiety and I Must take the med to combat it" so this then feeds our anxiety which also then means if for some reason we don't take the med, it creates a worry "Will I be ok" and then panic at the thought "I missed my med, my anxiety will come back" which then means we start panicking because we feel so anxious...and all Because of taking and missing meds...whereas if you got up in the morning saying "I have nothing to fear, I'll be fine", anxiety doesn't have any fuel to feed off because it's nt getting any attention so you're more likely then to be able to cope without meds. In other words, anxiety is created by our mind, our thoughts and fears so anything that makes us focus on anxiety can make anxious feeling worse when if it's ignored, it'll go away on its own. However, meds can help us through bad spells but it's just a thought about how all meds "can" work against us, especially if we start depending on them.

I'm glad you're ok though. Things will improve for you and I know you'll be fine Hannah.

Thanks Bill just back from the doctors. My GPS are so proud of me going cold turkey and riding out the storm. I do accept benzos have there place in treatment. my new gps amazing. They seem to inherit all the benzo addicts in the area. some on 120mg a day from irresponsible doctors. They have a rule of thumb if your a smoker or show any signs of an addictive nature no benzos. Because only heroin is more addictive and the withdrawal is comparable. I agree meds can form pattern and increase Aniexty. tolerance forms more quickly with benzos than anything else 4-6 weeks. I would have needed several thousand mg for them to have any effect now. which would kill. But Aniexty disorders are effected by brain chemistry. Gaba and serotonin. Hence the trial and error with meds. Benzos become placebos we become dependent on mentally. constantly wanting that first brain calm they cause. The ongoing agitation does not make those few days of brain calm worth it. I took 120mg one day looking for a moment of peace in my mind. it never comes again. sucking on a chocolate drop would have more effect. I think all meds have there place benzos belong in the bin. my physical withdrawal is over and my mind is calming. The days of agitation and clock watching for the next dose done. just have to deal with the physical fall out from terrible IBS excema asthma and high blood sugar. But I will take a dose of all of that and no agitation in my head over a dose of diazepam. I am on lyrica. I will always be medicated. I have used food alcohol illegal drugs to control my Aniexty behaviours patterns. my aim is not to be med free. its an illness a chemical imbalance genetic and life long. no one knocks a physically disabled person for treatment we are no different. I am in no hurry to trade 3 tablets for food alcohol weird life coping pattern and a joint at the weekend. But I will ditch pointless placebos that agitated me. I hate my diagnoses of GAD but it's an illness. I am not aspiring to be med free. I am aspiring to have a calm mind. if it takes meds cbt whatever I am in. lived in denial for years. A full days work followed by a bottle of wine chocolate or a food binge isn't cured its lying. 3 lyrica is honest. Each day as it comes x x

Hello Hannah

My GPS are so proud of me going cold turkey and riding out the storm.
    ...my physical withdrawal is over and my mind is calming.

I'm proud of you too because I've experienced those withdrawal symptoms too so I know what you've had to endure.

As you say, it's about achieving a calm a mind as possible with or without meds so there isn't any right or wrong because if the individual is happy that's all that really matters.

I hate my diagnoses of GAD but it's an illness.
    I have had IBS for life. hormones and stress would trigger bad IBS.

You've raised another interesting thought which I was thinking about the other day because alot of people say that when they suffer from anxiety they say it is an illness because it makes them feel so ill...but is anxiety an illness I wonder. Probably some will say it is and others will say it isn't.

I often wonder if we were brought up on a tropical island without the stresses of the modern world or experiencing the traumas that we endure, would we still actually develop our "illness".

For instance, if a lion was standing in front of us, wouldn't we still experience panic and anxious feelings because the lion causes us to feel fear. It would in everyone but then why do we experience these symptoms when there is no lion present when others appear to just get on with life.

If we said we have a certain type of personality that makes us vulnerable to anxiety, would that still be regarded as an illness. For instance, alot of people who suffer from anxiety are sensitive, insecure, worriers, lack confidence, perfectionist etc. There are others though who have endured more than they can take causing an overload of stress due to extreme traumas and experiences.

When soldiers come back from wars after suffering extreme experiences, they'll often suffer post traumatic stress but if they hadn't of experienced them, would they have stayed "well".

If we had self-confidence, would we worry so much or sail through life. If we weren't so intense and tried to be less perfect, would we suffer less pressure on ourselves.

There is also the issue of depression. Some will suffer depression for no apparent reason other than it being biological while others will suffer depression after suffering too much anxiety and stress.

I can't help wondering if we suffer from anxiety because our personalities make us vulnerable but also others suffer from anxiety simply due to terrible experiences but in both cases stressful experiences have triggered our anxiety.

If we suffered from an illness, wouldn't be ill All the time and perhaps sometimes we feel we are but if the stresses/fears were removed, would we then be relaxed.

When I think back to all the issues that I've suffered from, at the time I wouldn't even been aware there was a label for them. I just accepted them as being part of me. Now, I can see those issues would be called GAD, OCD, etc. but at the time I knew no different so tried to hide those symptoms from others in case they thought I was crazy. Now though I accept I am what I am and I can't change being me. I can just learn to cope with being me even if I do get frustrated with myself.

Whether anxiety is the same for both sexes I don't know and whether some issues are more common in each I'm not sure. I confess that some days I feel so tired I just can't concentrate and feel very panicky. I know it'll pass though and I just have to get things done because no one else will help me.

Speaking of which, happy valentines day to all those who have loving caring partners, and for those who don't, I can fully empathise with you. Still, at least it's only one day to endure...and on that note...

Take care Hannah. I think you're doing incredibly well considering all you've been through.

ha ha you certain have interesting views on all of this bill I am with you on most. Docs have added a personality disorder to my GAD but they could chuck in OCD PMDD post traumatic stress. This is not howI iimagined letters after my name ;-) I know what you mean it's 50/50 think your damaged goods or diagnosed. men women we all get stressed we just have a hormone injured stress boost monthly ;-)

when I watched the Paralympics I watched s clip about a female paralympian. she went out for a drink to celebrate London getting the games. overslept the next day and left late for work. She was caught in the London bombings and lost both legs. she took it as a sign she was meant to compete in the Paralympics. she trained qualified and competed in the games that had caused her to loose her legs in a terrorist attack.

would your brain or mine put that spin on the events very doubtful. I am ashamed to admit as much as I admire the actions. I would take it as a sign to avoid London the Olympics and tube trains and work and drinking.

I can track GAD back 4 generations in my family. all trauma triggered. my unlucky family makes my GAD easier to accept.

I believe your pre disposed. I would love to live in a hut on a dessert island. Take away the modern world we would all be med free.

Hope you had a good Valentine's Bill at least that's the last time the calender upset us with single life this year x x

Hello Hannah

I reckon genes have alot to do with it for alot of sufferers but I think also we learn behaviour from our parents from an early age and combined under the right circumstances we probably become more vulnerable.

I also heard a theory about the first and youngest born. The oldest seems to more often the leader whereas the youngest lacks the confidence. However, it also seems that the youngest often has more empathy. I wouldn't say it's always the case but I found it interesting because I think I can understand the reasons. It does amus me though when they spend large sums on research and then announce conclusions that everyone already knew in the first place but I guess they want to understand the reasons.

In any case, whether it's in our genes or not, it doesn't mean that we always just have to suffer because there are lots we can do to help ourselves so that we don't allow anxiety to control our lives. Besides that, there is alot to admire in a sensitive, caring person who worries about others which are often attributes of an anxiety sufferer which others don't always have hence not being able to understand sufferers because they don't worry about anything and therefore are more likely to lack empathy. You have alot to be proud about - Admirable qualities which I bet you can't see yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information