Thread: Brain tumour or anxiety?

Brain tumour or anxiety?

Hi all,

Its been a while since I posted on the site, although I do come on every once in awhile to see how everyone is doing.

I have been trying to overcome my health anxiety over these last few months. I now visit a psychologist/stress therapist on a weekly basis which has been good for me. I changed my job from a very stressful one to one that is close to home, great hours and completely unstressful. I start a part-time counselling course at college next week which I am very excited about too. Overall, I am trying to take positive steps in my life to help me overcome my anxieties. finally there is light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

However, there are still symptoms which worry me and which have been going on for quite a few months and I wonder if anyone can shed any light on them. A problem shared is a problem halved!

Basically for the last year I have felt weird dizzy/light headed sensations which only seem to affect my right side of my head/ear/body. I began with just feeling dizzy on this side but then I started to feel like the earth was moving below my feet or like I was walking on bouncy foam or something. I also feel sometimes like my body is moving from side to side like a pendulum.

I should point out to all, I suffer TMJ also on the right side and wear a splint at time as I am a total teeth cruncher. I suffer alot of neck tightness on this side too due to the TMJ. I have been getting weekly deep tissue massages for my TMJ which has been helping a bit but doesnt seem to be taking the TMJ away. I have also had a MRI scan about 2.5 yrs ago as I suffered migraines a lot but all was clear there too.

I have went to my GP several times and always was disgnosed with an inner ear problem which will go away itself. As the months have gone by and because the dizziness is still here I have been referred to Ear Nose & throat, which I am still waiting my appointment.

However, lately I have also been feeling like the dizziness is affecting my arm and leg too. I can still use them so its not like I am losing control of them but they do feel weird at times. They find numb at times and this worries me. I am trying very hard not to do my usual 'googling' etc to see if there is an explanation to this.

These symptoms/sensations are fleeting and dont last anymore than a few seconds at a time. They dont stop me functioning but obvioulsy the fear/worry is still there and if given the chance can prevent me relaxing etc etc..

Do you think I do have a brain tumour? Are these symptoms of this as it is now affecting my leg/arm etc? (sorry got to ask)

Could it just be another anxiety symptom?

Is it an inner ear issue? can this affect leg or arm?

If anyone has any idea then that would be very much appreciated. Hopefully my Ear Nose & Throat appoinment will not be too much longer although I dont want to assume that this will have all the answers either.

I hope you are all doing well.

Thanks

sadie

Hi Sadie,

I have tmj too which causes pain in my right side (jaw,tongue,ear,shoulder & arm) i also suffer from dizziness. I certainly relate to the 'walking on sponge' When i am anxious all the symptoms increase.
    I have seen ENT and wear a mouth guard (v. attractive lol) when it is at its worse. I totally tense up in my right side and somedays everything hurts. Not al lot seems to be know in the UK about tmj.
    I am actually getting pain in my other side around my eye at the moment and the only conculsion i can come to is that its somehow transferred pain to there??
    Not much help really am i? but you are not alone and i'm sure its the anxiety,
    Wishing you well,

anx x

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

Hi Sadie

Welcome back.

I had the dizziness every single day for over 3 years - no relief from it atall. I never knew what it was.

You do not have a brain tumour - my partner's dad died of one and believe me you would know if you did cos he was laid in bed unable to move or talk.

You do not have the symptoms he had.

There are loads and loads of posts about numbness so do a search for them and you will see you are not alone with this. It is all muscular and anxiety related.

Nicola

Thanks Nicola and anxious

I think I know deep down that it is just another symptom of anxiety but there is still the little 'what if' worry at times. I have noticed that the dizziness gets worse when I am doing somehting that is not im my comfort zone, although I can get it at other times too but not as much.

I will do a search for numbness etc and I am sure that will lay these old fears to rest.

Cheers.

sadie

hi sadie i too have the same symptoms as you describe and they scare me too!!i have had this for the last 2 years and i keep going to the doctors and she says it is anxiety related but i still keep worring!!i think it has to be one of the worst anxiety symptoms ever.the only time it seems to get better is night times when i have wound down,so perhaps relaxation of some kind may help!hope this helps
    take care rachel x

Thread Information