Thread: Diazepam and Alcohol

Diazepam and Alcohol

Hi guys,

I take diazepam daily (5mg morning, 5mg night)I am aware that diazepam and alcohol is a big no no. Also i know benzos are designed for short term but they are the only thing that works for me. My question is can you drink alcohol if you dont take the diazepam that day or is there still too much of it in my system because i take it everyday?

Many Thanks

Re: Diazepam and Alcohol

If you take diazepam everyday then it will stay in your system longer and therefore not advised to drink alcohol.

i wouldn't advise it with any anxiety medication, i wen't out a couple of weeks ago for a few drinks and i take citalopram. i ended up so drunk off just a few drinks i ended up getting arrested for drunk and disorderly. lesson learnt, don't mix alcohol with anxiety meds.

It is not adivised

im not on any meds just cant take them i struggle every day to get through the day my gp has given me 5 dizapan for emergencies so far ive had 1 as for drinking i used to be a big drinker not now though i did go for a beer the other day with my partner as she has been wonderfull in just being there for me over the last 2 years any way im not on meds and only had two pints of cider and i was pretty typsy so im not sure if meds do make a difference i think its how your mind process what you take many years ago i was on prozac and drank nearly every day so im not convienced it could be the meds if you are on meds and you worry about having a drink i think you can worry yourself into thinking you ARE GOING TO BE ILL.

diazepam has a half life of 200 hrs I had 8 months on 30-25mg you can't drink on it ever. ask about progabalin it works on gaba same as diazepam not addictive does not build tolerance. you will not be allowed to continue on diazepam its against every rule for prescribing. Plus no you can't drink on progabalin either. all anti Aniexty drugs effect your brain chemistry as does alcohol. drink and you will be wasted on a few. also you suffer 3 day hangovers and increased Aniexty until your brain chemistry comes back into balance. give it a try when you have 3-4 days to write off. You may not want to repeat the experience. Hx

Thread Information