Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tummy Cramps!!!

Tummy Cramps!!!

Hey guys. Anyone with anxiety suffer from seriously painful stomach cramps and diarrhea? This started for me a few years ago after I got diagnosed with G.A.D. My doctor told me it was IBS, so I thought, 'great, another problem!' but she said that although it could be a reaction to food or drink, she said it was more than likely connected to my anxiety.

I only get the pains in the evening, when I'm most run-down I think. But they don't always happen when I'm stressed!! Sometimes I've had a really good day but they still happen!! :( I normally sit on the bathroom floor for a good hour in total pain, then after that I can go to the toilet but normally am all blocked up for that hour.

Can anyone who has this or who knows help me with some ideas about how to ease the pain? Or to help it stop happening?!! Or even to just make it last not so long!! It's really annoying, I get into bed to watch a film with my bf, or sometimes when I'm on my way out and it starts up!! Generally happens badly about once every 2 months but sometimes can be more frequent..(and by the way, is DEF stomach cramps, not period cramping!!).

Thanks

*Luthien*

Re: Tummy Cramps!!!

Sounds like IBS to me and more than likely related to anxiety. I have had it for years and have only recently learnt how to control it. I discovered that the more I worried about it the worse it became. The most important thing is to stop worrying about it - as simple as that. When I stopped worrying it went away and hasn't come back and I had it for years - the last bout lasting 8 months!
    Use a hot water bottle or heat pad for the pain
    Take a OTC remedy for the diarrhea
    Drink lots of fluids
    Do whatever helps you to relax, swimming works well, yoga, breathing exercises.
    Avoid fatty food and eat plain things like rice, grilled chicken
    But the most important one is to stop worrying about it.

The fact that it comes at the same time each day is a tell-tale sign of anxiety which can produce panic attacks at the same time each day or in the same place. Its more a bad habit than anything else.

I got the IBS diagnosed before GAD they are closely linked. peppermint oil before food helps. sounds like your evening meal normally the biggest is the trigger. dairy fatty foods and red meat trigger mine. keep a food diary mix food types and work out what does it for you. IBS meds antispamodics deal with the pain buscopan can be got over the counter. hot bath hot water bottle and peppermint tea to deal with the pain. mine swings between constipated try ortisan fruit cubes avoid senna laxatives. let the diarrhea do its thing Imodium causes more problems. if your body wants it out there is an intolerance to that food. as soon as you work out trigger foods it's easy to manage. But if you get stressed it will flare. I look on my IBS as an early warning system. if my stomach hurts I am pushing myself to stress and have to wind down. Hot Bath calms the mind also x

Quote Originally Posted by han76 View Post
    let the diarrhea do its thing Imodium causes more problems.
    LOL, as I just read that I had literally just popped two Imodium into my mouth and swallowed them. IBS is going mad due to my anxiety about a doctor's appointment in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by dk74 View Post
    LOL, as I just read that I had literally just popped two Imodium into my mouth and swallowed them. IBS is going mad due to my anxiety about a doctor's appointment in the morning.
    ha ha ha oh well you have to laugh stress and Aniexty messing with your bowel movements. it does have comedy value. I was bent over double with my Atos medical yesterday and my IBS has been managed well for years. if you suffer the dreaded squirts to quote my nephew. Grab some diarolyte and drink plenty of fluids. trust me it's better out than in. Don't stress the doctors they are just people who went to med school. it just happens to be there job to look after you. You don't stress the bin man doing his job. Chin up babe it does get better. you learn how to manage IBS. some people get headaches when stressed. we get stomach upset

Thanks for the messages guys! Yeah, when you sit and think about it is funny. I had a few cramps earlier tonight and hadn't had a big dinner or anything. But they have gone now, so luckily not got a long night of sitting on the loo!! :P I haven't thought of keeping a food diary before, when the doctor told me it could be related to my anxiety I kind of just took it as that and left it. But will definitely start that up. I love my food though so hope it's nothing to good to give up :P Haha!

One thing that was recommended to me from a guy I met travelling, was Mugwort. Natural herb that helps with all kinds of things, cramps, nerves, insomnia, stomach disorders, and pains in bowel. Can drink it in tea, smoked or put under pillow at night. Going to try it under the pillow tonight and will see how it goes!! Could be interesting!!

*Luthien*

Tomato is a killer food for me. If I eat something like Heinz Tomato soup or have tomato-based sauces on pasta or a pizza, I'll get bad cramps. Shame as tomato is good for you, too.

Just realised that there is something on this website about St. John's Wort which can help with depression,anxiety and also stomach problems. Not sure if it is the same as or similar to Mugwort? (which by the way, I know sounds like something out of Harry Potter!!)

*Luthien*

never heard of mugwort ! yep sounds a bit harry potter to me ha ha be careful with stjohns wort effects your contraception and effects many meds. shocked your doc never said to keep a food diary just write down what you eat and your IBS symptoms scale the pain. I love a steak but suffer for days after. But if I take my alpercap and mebeverline and am really relaxed on holiday I can eat one symptom free. some foods just aggravate IBS. I am just in the habbit of lining my stomach with peppermint oil and peppermint tea after. I really miss real coffee :-( it's like pouring acid in my stomach now had to ditch caffeine as it triggers agitation. Decaf is just not the same sadly. go on Twinning website they do free samples of various mint teas and digestive herbals x x

I'm always loose the morning after I've been up worrying all night...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information