Thread: Abnormal smear then normal one...

Abnormal smear then normal one...

Hey everyone just wondered if anyone had any reasurence or advice to give! over a year ago i had my first smear test, it came back borderline abnormal of course this sent anxiety over the edge lol! any way after a retest it came back normal, i felt a very weird pang of emotions had even geared myself up for the op hahaha!! so next april i am due for my other one and im really scared about it!! could it be the normal one wasnt right?! or is it more likely itl be worse this time, i dont even really no what im asking im just really worried this one will show cancer. xx

Re: Abnormal smear then normal one...

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Borderline changes means just that and most of the time, your body heals itself. This seems to be the case with you. That's why they don't do anything except keep monitoring your smear tests. I am sure your normal smear was accurate.

Thanks hun just needed to hear some1 say that ive been really worried about going for this next one. xx

It is so common to have that happen, although I know frightening!! But I am sure others on here can attest to having an abnormal one once in a while and having the rest be normal

Hi Helen, having an abnormal smear is so common, it happens thousands of women every year. Not sure how much you know about the results, so sorry if saying something you already know, but there different categories on the results. CIN1 are borderline changes, the changes to the cells are so minute that they usually go back to normal on their own, so when you get this result you are called back for a repeat smear in 6 months time to check to see if the cells reverted back to normal on their own. (IN YOUR CASE THEY DID AS SECOND SMEAR WAS CLEAR)
    Then there is CIN2 which is moderate changes, these are when you are then referred to have a colposcopy done, so that the cervix can be checked, again this is NOT cancer but it may be that the cells need to be taken away.

Then there is CIN3 which is severe changes, these are less likely to revert back to normal on their own, so further treatment is done to remove the cells BEFORE they turn cancerous.

Another thing important to remember is that cervical cancer is generally a very slow growing cancer, up to 99% of cervical cancer is caused by the HPV virus. Its reassuring to know that from initial infection of HPV through to CIN3 usually takes 6 years and sometimes longer, and then for CIN3 to develop into cancer can take upto 10 years. Our bodies can usually fight off HPV on its own, but that is why the smear tests are so good as they detect the cell changes long before any cancer is present.

So I would say that it is really positive and good for you, and no worries at all. What you have experienced is really common, so please try not to worry. The chances of having a clear smear test and going to full blown cervical cancer is extremely minimal.

Thankyou so much thats really put my mind at rest xx

Thread Information