Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any agoraphobics around?

Aggy - is that 20 minutes alone or with help?
    Alone i have a mile safety zone which is a bit crap but with someone, so far i went as far as Cambridge shopping with my mum and that is about an hour or just over and i went to Clacton last year and thats about an hour away too!
    I went to Heathrow to collect a friend from the airport and that took about 2 hours, but i'd taken a travel sick pill to make me sleepy, just as well really, we were stuck in traffic for 80% of the journey!!!!!!!!!

hi sarah, mostly alone. i did take a 20 minute train ride but had a friend with me thankfully as it was very very nervewracking......

you seem to be doing okay though, do you try to go a little bit further every now and then ? i couldnt imagine going so far but i wished i could. mayb one day

I do *try* when i am feeling okay, but the thing is i drive an old L reg car and i don't feel that safe in it, i am looking to purchase a newer car, i am hoping that will give me the security that i am after when driving.
    Last year before i got my car i borrowed my mothers and was able to drive a little further without panicking - so after i spend all my money, i hope it will worth it

i think i'd be more willing to try and break outa my safety zone if i could drive. have a friend who suffers with PD and had agoraphobia for about 9 months but she is fine now as long as she can drive.

unfortunately, i use public transport or cabs. am thinking about learning to drive once i get a handle on this disorder. til then its the buses for me and oh my that can be very trying at times.........the thing is i think i can 'taste' my freedom, just need to focus, find some courage and maybe a little help from a friend. am sick and tired of feeling so sick and tired and having my 'real' life put on hold.

how are you with 'traffic'?..... sitting on the bus in traffic is a killer for me but i am getting a little better. sometimes i can manage, other times i try to see whats ahead and maybe get off the bus and walk the rest !!!!!

Hi all,

Its such a strange thing, better somedays than others. I very rarely go anywhere unacompanied. Doctors appointment is usually the only place. I too have safety zones, when driving for example, will not drive anywhere unfamiliar, and being stopped at a junction or traffic lights with cars behind brings on panic, if I had the balls to get out of my car and run I would!! I just feel so trapped. Dont do public transport. Cannot cope with queues, waiting rooms, busy shops, crowds, my own garden some days.

Cannot be a passenger in another car, cannot do hairdressers, oh there are all sorts of things I avoid, the list just goes on. Havent worked for 18mths due to it and I first started with my panic attacks around 12yrs ago.

Of course, I could push myself into all of the above situations and more, exposing myself to my fears, but have done this actually over the years and got to the point where it is far less traumatic and stressful to avoid, and I now firmly believe that I will never get over my fears.

It just means I have to make the most of the better days. I am just pathetic really!!

Anyway take care!

Freaky
    Last edited by freakedout; 14-09-07 at 23:47.

Hi...
    Traffic for me alone is a NO NO.
    However i travelled to Heathrow last November and in rush hour with my parents to collect a friend and was stuck in chronic traffic for hours. I had taken a travel sick pill beforehand so i was very sleepy.

"Freakedout". You are defnitely NOT pathetic!
    I am better as a passenger. I've done the hairdressers once in 8 years and that was last year, also the dentist is a massive problem to me, but unfortunately because i was terrified i now have a mouthful of knackered teeth that need "extensive" work :(
    Great.

Sarah x

@ freaked out - youre far from being pathetic. at this point in time it feels more manageable for you not to place too much stress on yourself.....i can see the logic. we are all different and experience agoraphobia in differing ways. always work to your manageability level and dont take on board others shoulda, coulda's.

i think that because i was always a very impatient person pre-agoraphobia this is now magnified 100 times over.....i hated queuing etc and i feel the same way about , traffic etc.

i had to go to the dentist (on my own) a while back because the teeth (huh!) were starting to hurt. got the lecture from the dentist, had 4 injections because i found out that one didnt work :(, a tooth taken out and one filled.....all this whilst in varying levels of panic. i came out of there in tears and had to have a brandy when i got home as i felt traumatised by the whole situation.......but i got there and did it (cowardy custard that i am!!!) and so can you..

For me, the best way to cope with dental work is sedation. Since last July i've had 2 wisdom teeth and one molar out under sedation and its great
    I've got another tooth due to be taken out within the next month and hopefully the "extensive" work will be done the same way - with me "out of it"....lol
    Sarah.

oooh, i have to give you props sarah, wisdom teeth extraction is notoriously painful, but you did it whether sedated or not.

yikes !!!!

as much as our brains are rewired to think catastrophically, the truth of the matter, in many instances, is that we will not come to any harm......maybe a little (okay, or a lot) of discomfort but WE WILL SURVIVE THE EXPERIENCE.

Ahh Sarah I know what you mean! I had to have my wisdom teeth out(all) a few months ago and I was freaking out so much they had to give me laughing gas then wait then give me my anithesia(sp?) which was the full-knock you out and wake up an hour later and have no clue for the whole day whats going on deal. But.... the sleeping was nice as I have insomina!

"Raises hand for agoraphobic count" [8D]

If nothing else...I will survive.

To: SSJHSMH-U are light and my heart and strength. I will protect you in this life or the next always.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information