Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any agoraphobics around?

I'm a recovered Agoraphobic. Happy to help anyone....

Love to all members

you can add me to your collection of agoraphobes, i've had it just over three years. i know what you mean about it being lonely, not going out much makes it nigh impossible to make new freinds unfortunately:( another catch 22 cos if you went out and met people it would probably help you to recover[Sigh...]

Three years, thats quite a while.
    How are you in your recovery? Can you actually leave the house alone or do you have to go with someone?
    I attempted a night out with a girl last November, i lasted about two hours and started panicking and had to leave!
    Agoraphobia is poo.

Sarah

Hello yes I was agrophobic, I always used to take my bike with me thinking that if I felt bad I could get home quick. I used to feel as if I wasnt in this world when walking out and many a time I stood frozen not knowing what way to go in panic and really wanted not to be there. Even going a few miles in a car was hard for me, I couldn,t breeth or walk when I tried to get out the car. Most doctors etc tell you to learn relaxation technics, but try doing it when in that position.
    I really feel for everyone going through it wish I could help.

love pam

pcurchin

Pamela..
    You *WAS* agoraphobic - how did you recover?

Sarah

This site is begining to sadden me. As always i start with such high hopes, people in need and i have the answer and really want to help. I've been there you see, 8 years of Agoraphobia, but more importantly I've recovered.
    I joined did afew posts and had personal messages saying they really wanted my help. So i give it and then either nothing or people want to be friends but not actually do anything to face their fear.

The answer to phobia is:

FACE YOUR FEAR : the Agoraphobic obviously needs to go out
    STAY IN THE SITUATION : feel the symptoms however horrid
    REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT : as many times a day every day

I know getting started is not easy. I wasted 8 years. I know you need as much support as possible. I'm willing to give it. Anything - time energy money. Why does noone want to be cured?
    It's probably lovely spending all day on this site swopping pleasantries, but did you come here originally to get help and then leave/ go out in the big wide world? Why did you stay?
    I've been on afew site that begin with good intentions of helping people and all have ended up - probably through no fault of those who started them - by sucking people in and KEEPING THEM THERE. It always worries me when a Moderator is unable to beat their own fear. It doesn't stop them being the greatest Moderator in the world, of starting new topics and making people feel good, but what example does it set to new members?
    If those who post most and are senior members can't beat their own fear, how can a reply from them help any sufferer RECOVER.
    I don't know, i may get into trouble on this site for posting this. It may even be removed before anyone else can read it. But i'm hear to help people recover. I'll tell them how, encourage them to begin and be there daily if they want.
    MODERATORS - if you want to RECOVER please post here where everyone can see and i'll support you. Set the example. Face your fear today, tomorrow and never turn aside. Because if you won't even try, what hope have the people who join got.
    The SUCCESS section also worries me. RECOVERY is success. Not a good day followed by return to normal.
    I say all the above in love. Perhaps i don't belong here. I am recovered and can make friends anywhere i want to! I MAKE time to come here because i relate to peoples problems of phobia and hopelessness. But i'm not looking to waste hours being friendly without people at least puting in some effort to RECOVERY. I actually think i've only seen one post of a recovered person.
    I'd really like to see SENIOR members and MODERATORS recovering and posting from experience, not of failure and what tv, books or the latest doctor they saw said.
    God bless, i fear the response will be negative to this post, as its easier to attack that listern and face your fear. Love to all readers, Paul.

Love to all members

Hi there paul

I have left a message on another thread about agoraphobia.

We all know what we have to do to get over this problem and i was wondering if you could enlighten us on what techniques you used when in panic mode

bobsy

AARRGGHHH, why are we being named yet again !!!!!!

Just becuase we are moderators doesn't mean we can recover any quicker than anyone else, I have been trying to get rid of this for 9 years now, you make it sound like we don't want to do anything about it.

If it was as easy as facing our fears then hey none of us would be here.

Do you know our circumstances? our backgrounds? why we started to suffer in the first place? no so you cannot judge us I am afraid.

But hey it was a good post if you wanted to piss the mods off, well done.

Trac

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hm... Paul I don't think that was a fair statement you made about senior members and mods, saying that you don't think mods should be mods if they haven't recovered is ridiculous.

You said that how can senior members and mods possibly help people by replying to a post if they haven't recovered? Well thats ridiculous as well, just because none of us has recovered that doesn't mean we can't give good advice that would help people, you are wrong when you say how could it help others, we have plenty of good advice to give from experiences etc. and it does help people.

I am not cured but I reply to topics that I have an experience in and I believe some of the things I say does help people, so I don't think it was very fair you saying that if none of us senior members/mods have recovered that what we say isn't much help.

Scooby2005.

Oh and one more thing, I do want to recover, so if you think you can help me do that, go ahead and give it your best shot, as I would love to be able to do the things with my kids that I can't at the minute, I would love to go to town, to the cinema, on holiday, all the things people who don't suffer with this can.

Trac

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information