Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread: 2013 Agoraphobia Thread

Re: 2013 Agoraphobia Thread

Yesterday I walked to the bus stop with my sister and put both feet on the bus. Woo hoo! Now just got to do the staying on bit and go somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    Yesterday I walked to the bus stop with my sister and put both feet on the bus. Woo hoo! Now just got to do the staying on bit and go somewhere.
    That's great...I bet you could go one stop next time.

I'm determined to start using my car (just spent a fortune on it as it hadn't been used in so long!)...First day today, sat in it for a while, started it up and moved it down the road.

Thanks Bea. And well done you for taking that step to getting out and about in your car.

Hi guys.....well I'm gonna try short version....
    I developed agoraphobia 5 years ago....I don't go anywhere apart from school run and have months were I can't do that....

My daughter has an assembly at ten today but was arguing with myself all morning to do school run come back and go back fir ten....

Guilt took over me(which I find surprising) and went I was fine and her excitement made the struggle all worth while xxx

Hi cookieb. A huge well done for going to your daughters school assembly.

Thank you hunny xxx

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and have suffered from agoraphobia for 6 years when I had a panic attack at a nightclub in London in the middle of the night and had to get a bus home, which felt like it took forever. I had been having treatment with a counsellor for a eating disorder which I had and left counselling last year, then within weeks it returned and I had a major panic atteack while on my first trip on a train back to London. Since then the anxiety, which I never used to listen to had gotten more uncontrollable until I simply found I couldn't even walk anywhere.

A month after this happened I decided to take action and grabbed my bike which I hadn't used for years and used this as exposure. This was over a year ago and now I bike everywhere, I still however can't walk very far and have issues with shopping as I have to cross a level crossing and am scared of being trapped away from my house etc. I can't travel by car very far either, I can't drive myself and have been relying on my other half to help with my exposure therapy in the car, which is really hard.

I've started a 8 week therapy with the NHS and am receiving physco education, but am still finding the exposure therapy really hard in the car. Yet I can travel just as far on the bike, even though it takes just as long. My new counsellor wants me to let go of the bike but I really don't want to as I enjoy it. However I have lost a lot of weight as a result and am now underweight by a stone still.

I have contemplated suicide but my other half keeps me going and I hope one day I will overcome this. I just wish I knew how. I'm thinking of trying hypnotherapy just to relieve the panic slightly so I can manage it a bit more but I've heard mixed reviews on it.

It's great to see there are others out there like me who have the same problem and that we are not alone.

Hi everyone I am new here. I have been struggling with the fear of going places alone or too far away from home for about 7 yrs atleastI. I also was afraid of being alone out in public or at home. I've went out places alot but still get afraid to drive alone even close to home but I plan to keep trying. This inspires me to hear your stories and I thank you all for sharing.

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread Information