Thread: Coping skills for a rare night out

Coping skills for a rare night out

A couple of times I have been invited on a girly night out by one of the mums at my children's school. She is part of a group of very out-going (but friendly) ladies but I really don't know them that well and up to now I have turned down the invites because of my social anxiety (dont go out much but when I do its always with my other half).

However, I have been invited to another 'do' next friday at one of the groups houses and feel if I keep turing the invites down I will be seen as a bit of a party pooper.

So I have excepted the invite but am dreading it!! I am quite friendly with another mum and she is coming as well but is very chatty and gets along with most people but I on the other-hand find social situations with people I don't know well, very very scary, I blush alot, don't have any confidence so always assume people find me boring and compare myself with others all the time. Already I am over-thinking the evening and imagining what the evening will be like before its even here (me sitting there uncomfortable and wishing I was at home!) I dont drink so can't even use that for 'dutch courage'

Does anyone have any advice on coping skills for the evening?

Re: Coping skills for a rare night out

Well, they obviously like you or you wouldn't keep getting invites.

Perhaps if you stand instead of sitting, you can take toilet brakes, get fresh air, top your drink up etc. Usually a get together at someones home means conversations going on in more than one room. Opt for the least busy room to join it with the group. Admitting that you are a little nervous to your friend beforehand may be helpful, she will probably try and make you feel more at ease.

Good luck, you are being very brave.

BobbyDog

Re: Coping skills for a rare night out

Hey,

Well done for accepting the invite! If you don't feel close enough to explain your social anxiety to anyone there (and, therefore, hope they will understand if you take a breather for a few mins) then you could just arrange to go for the earlier part of the evening if you wanted to. Alternatively, why not have a friend or relative give you call during the evening just so you can take a few mins to yourself.

People are generally a lot more understanding than I expect them to be re panic attacks etc but it can be difficult/embarrassing trying to explain so I can understand if you don't really want to do that. The good thing is that you all have kids at the same school so aren't going to be stuck for conversation. Well done for going

Thread Information