Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CBT to tackle Agoraphobia - my experience

CBT to tackle Agoraphobia - my experience

Hi
    Just wondering if others have had CBT for agoraphobia and whether it was successful (even partially) and would they recommend this therapy or even another therapy. Also what is actually involved in the sessions and if anyone has gone private for it?

Thanks
    Last edited by little wren; 16-03-13 at 17:51.

Re: CBT for agoraphobia?

Hi. CBT is the preferred treatment for agoraphobia. Everybody is entitled to at least one course through the NHS. Ask your GP if he thinks it would be suitable for you at this time and that you would like to be referred to the mental health team. There is usually a waiting list, it differs how long depending on the area you live in. The sooner you get your name on the list the better. In the meantime, there is an organisation called No Panic. They offer CBT courses over the telephone. There is a £12 annual membership and for this you can have access to as many courses as you feel would help you. I am on the list for my 2nd group course and hope to start in the next couple of months. No Panic offer a one to one course or a group course.
    I have put a link for more info on the agoraphobia thread in the phobias section.http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...=130181&page=2

Hi flossie , the thing is I had cbt for ocd about seven years ago when I was severely ill and I don't think I made the most of it. However, something must have sunk in as the ocd has improved from then. I really just wanted to know if others had benefited from having cbt for agoraphobia - any personal experiences of it. I have read a few threads of people who have had cbt but apart from kittikat nothing for agoraphobia. At the moment I just seem to be throwing myself into going outside but without feeling I have effective coping skills. I have never had any other kind of therapy apart from this one short course of cbt seven years ago. x

Totally you should check out cbt4panic website, helping me for my agoraphobia of 20 odd years! Around £60 for all workbooks, online videos where Robin Hall analyses and explains all the workbooks step by step with you, you get everything sent on a DVD anyway and you can download everything onto your computer anyway.
    The first 30 days you don't even get the money taken from your account, and you can cancel at any time, then I even think after the money has been taken you have another 30 days to cancel and be refunded under the distance selling act. I don't even think they then ask for the material back.
    I haven't cancelled as it is helping in such a clear way as. In a way nothing else I have ever tried has.
    I have paid more than that for a one off hour with a psychotherapist trained in CBT.
    I have battled health anxiety, panic disorder, depression, agoraphobia, social anxiety, you name it...
    I am not cured but I am better than when I started the therapy.
    Robin is there with extremely helpful and informative emails whenever there is a problem.
    You have to print out the work sheets, fill in the analysis sheets, I have gone through a lot of paper but that is the key to success (although even just reading and listening to the workbooks will go a long way to help).
    The great thing is that YOU are in charge of the process, so no pressure from a psychologist trying to push you to spend the day in a shopping centre etc to see results.
    You have to take small steps with successful outcomes as the best route.
    Techniques taught will give you coping strategies to help you when the panic rears its head.
    Why not check it out?

Thanks pinktel - your message was so uplifting. Yes I am having a look at cbt4panic I emailed Robin Hall the other day and he was kind enough to point me in the right direction...I am still looking at the downloads at the moment. It is so reassuring that it is working for you (thanks for sharing). I really know what you mean about feeling pressured by others to meet deadlines in recovery - I suppose the NHS has to do it that way. I think feeling in control of your recovery is really important too. Good luck

I, too, would highly recommend CBT4PANIC

Having had agoraphobia since 2004 and being 100% housebound, I'm now able to go out and put what I've learned into practice I've still a way to go, but all the time I'm making progress I'm happy

Thanks auntiemoosie x

I entered the trial of CBT4Panic as a result of a recommendation from NMP and I was sorely disappointed.

I cannot criticise the methodology whatsoever. As a mental health practitioner trained in CBT, task focused therapy, person centred therapy and crisis management, Robin's product is sound and well presented.

However, at the time of embarking in this programme, I was totally without income and in crisis resulting from numerous issues in my life. I was not able to pay. Upon cancelling, I expressed my thanks for a quality product, but at this time, I could not continue as a paid member. Robin's response was patronising and said it was a shame for me to walk away from the one to one support for such value for money. I responded to Robin by saying when you have no money for food or mortgage, paying for CBT is not an option. He responded by conceding that financial matters and generating an income were a priority for him currently.

This told me that as skilled as this man is in CBT, which I do not deny, his people skills were displaced by his need to make money from CBT4Panic.

I am a qualified social worker, skilled in many fields, willing to offer my expertise for free on NMP even though I'm struggling financially. Look through my threads. I seek support infrequently but provide support as often as I am able.

I post on here to help others out of goodwill and the hope that I can help others with the benefit of my knowledge, skills, personal & professional experience.

Be wary of those charging for their support. Some - not all - will be reluctant to hurry your progress or discharge you from their care as this causes a drop in their income. I speak as a professional who has heard this directly from other colleagues and so called 'professionals' who I have recoiled from in disgust.

Please make informed choices

Serenetie did you have to return all course material once you cancelled?

Hey Little Wren. I am currently in the middle of CBT with the NHS. It's no miracle cure but has generally helped. I think the most interesting effect is that I have started viewing trips outside my 'safety zone' as interesting opportunities to observe agoraphobia, rather than fearful experiences to be avoided.
    Time will tell what the end result will be, but I am feeling pretty positive about it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information