Thread: Should I take propranolol?

Should I take propranolol?

One of the most frightening symptoms of panic and anxiety are palpitations and tachycardia, at least in my case. Since I suffer from this that every once in a while my heart rate goes over 100bpm up to 140bpm. Sometimes I don't feel it, but when I do, it's awful. I've complained about this symptom to every doctor I have seen - general practioners, psychiatrists, neurologists, gastroenterologists, cardiologists. Yet, no one ever prescribed me a beta-blocker to abort tachycardic rythms. Could it be because my ECGs and holters have normal tracings and the tachycardias I have - at least at the time the exams are done - are sinus tachycardias? Should I insist with my doctors to prescribe me a beta-blocker to take as a SOS medicine when I get palpitations or high heart rates at rest? What's your opinion? Thanks!

Re: Should I take propranolol?

Hi Junot, I'm only a newbie to heart related issues personally, so all I can tell you is what has been said to me... following my clear ECG and almost normal heart monitor results (showed high heart rate & some ectopics), my GP said to regard it all as normal, reassuring, BUT if the palpitations/fast heartbeats were causing upset or discomfort, I could go back and ask for medication.

I've taken that to mean that these blips are harmless as such, but if they're going to interfere with our health confidence, or bring on anxiety, then medication is an option.

Re: Should I take propranolol?

Propranolol is a safe drug that has been around for quite a while. My GP had no problem prescribing it to me to help with the racing heart and palpitations. As Daisy Sue said, it's not because there's anything wrong with your heart, but if you find the symptoms distressing, it wouldn't hurt to take it as needed.

Thread Information