Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't think CBT will work for me

Why I don't think CBT will work for me

CBT is about exposing yourself to your feared situation to learn that your fear never happens, i.e. you won't actually pass out/have a heart attack/faint/stop breathing/go insane etc.

But my fear is just simply having the panic attack. That to me is the worst thing that can happen. I fully understand that no symptoms will harm me or kill me. I don't get shortness of breath of think my heart is going to give in. I don't think I'm going mad and I even know the panic attack will eventually stop.

But the panic attack itself is absolutely frightening to me. I just don't want one. If I have one then I will either avoid that situation again or I will be on high alert and feel uneasy the entire time. Even if I don't have a full blown panic attack but feel very scared and uneasy, I don't feel a success from that. I feel that then going out I just feel horrible.

I do hope I am wrong because I love the idea of CBT.

Anyone else have this similar fear?

Re: Why I don't think CBT will work for me

I like most other anxiety sufferers also have a terrible fear of the "PANIC ATTACK."

I found CBT really helpful, I did not learn any exposure techniques relating to panic attacks. I did learn how to slow my breathing down if it happened - relaxation techniques that would help to relax my body when tense; and many many more useful things.

Don't knock it until you try it.

BobbyDog

I fear those horrible feelings you get of going into panic, so much so that I have cut myself off over time from social situations and even visiting people.

I found my therapist not that good when I read what people have done in there sessions.
    I found mine telling me to just go and do it as nd don't think what if.
    When I said if I did that I would fall at the first hurdle, I need to build myself up starting small. I was telling her lol she just said yer do that and whatever plans I had don't wait to see what I am like just do what I planned that day regardless of how I feel aghhh.
    There's now way I could do this, she even told me to do things without taking a diazepam because how do I know I can't do it. Which fair enough if you havnt got social problems and high anxiety you can stay in the situation.
    I didn't think I learnt anything from her, even when I was that bad I couldn't stomach food and was wrenching she told me to go round supermarket and look for something different or what I fancied I had no appetite what so ever !!!!
    I've got a review in 5 weeks to see how things are going, don't really want to go back, but MH worker thinks I should but he's not going to call one of his colleagues is he

But it just depends who you get, so wait and see.

Hi Steveo

I have sent you a PM which may clarify this a bit for you

I didn't post it here because it is in response to your PM so my reply may be confusing to others. Maybe if it helps you can eventually share with everyine else.

Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

I agree with BobbyDog. CBT is about learning the skills to manage the panic when it happens.
    A panic attack is frightening to all of us. That is why we are all members of this forum. Our anxieties may take different forms but the fear is real to everyone. The fear of fear, it is so common. You are not alone in what you are going through and I certainly understand that at this time you are having enough problems getting through your own day. Believe me I have been there and it is very scarey. Also believe me that this is a blip, you can work through this, a time will come when you will feel less anxious and you can make a full recovery.
    Do not reject the notion of learning the skills that CBT can teach you. You may not be ready to accept just yet but the time will come when you will be more open to trying.
    After my breakdown I completely closed my mind to everything. My automatic response was 'I can't' or 'that won't work for me.' My brain just could not cope with any new suggestion. CBT didn't work for me then because I closed my mind to it. I didn't understand it and was frightened to try it. I was also terrified that I would have to face my panic head on, just like you it was something I avoided at all cost. Because of my fear of the panic I became housebound for 20 years.
    That was some years ago and I am using CBT now. My head is in a different place and I am willing to accept new ideas and suggestions. I am learning skills that are teaching me not to fear the panic but to accept it and carry on doing what I want to do. Because of the skills CBT gives I am now getting out of my front door and taking the dog for a walk.
    Stay open to the thought of CBT. It doesn't have to be now but just be aware that when you feel ready it is something for you to try.

My opinion has massively changed now thanks to the incredible CBT4PANIC program that was so kindly introduced to me by the very amazing Robin Hall.

The program is incredible and Robin is so very helpful. I am doing little bits each day and it's so far been the most helpful thing I've ever done therapy wise. I highly recommend CBT4PANIC.

Oh Steve I'm so pleased that you're finding it helpful.

Seeing an NHS CBT therapist didn't work for me a few years back, but when I joined NMP and saw the CBT4PANIC therapy, I thought I'd give it a try.

I had been housebound with agoraphobia from 2004 right up until the end of last year when I was able to start going out and working on my CBT

I wish you all the best Steve, I'm sure you will do well with it

Hi Steveo

Glad that you are finding the programme of help. If you have come up with those alternative thoughts I mentioned and a list of your safety behaviours send them to me and I can help you expand on them. Dont be worried about asking questions.

Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

Thankyou Robin. I have written some down but waiting for another bigger panic attack to really work on them. You have been so helpful. I don't know how I'll ever be able to thank you for everything you've done for me.

Steve I am really pleased that CBT4panic is helping you. I also have found it to be very helpful and it is changing my life for the better

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information