Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pregablin and weight gain

Re: Pregablin and weight gain

Quote Originally Posted by little wren View Post
    I agree hanshan - before I took pregabalin I researched why weight gain was a side effect.
    I cannot find that it alters metabolism but that weight gain is caused by increased appetite. Anti-psychotics alter metabolism which is the major reason I opted for pregabalin over them to augment ssri.
    Increased appetite can occur... And over time just having an extra snack a day will pile on the pounds but I found when I started on pregabalin it was a instant thing weight gain.

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pa...ine=pregabalin

Rare: More than 1 in 10,000 people who take Pregabalin (metabolic problems)

I know that does not mean a lot "metabolic problems" but it is a case of what does that mean..

Thanks all for your replies. I am considering asking my GP to change my meds. I just feel that the weight gain is going to make my anxiety worse.
    Although I have said that I am not eating any more than before, my husband said that I am fooling myself and that most nights I am constantly eating something or other. I genuinely was not aware of this , but suppose it could be right.
    Is gabapentin effective for anxiety? Like xtremx said, weight gain is still a problem with gabapentin but I have heard it is not quite as drastic.

My own belief at the moment is that medications like pregabalin may affect both appetite and satiety - that is, with pregabalin, people may feel more hungry and less full after eating. (Lots of "may"s here, because the scientific information is still limited).

This may make a person feel that they have not eaten more than usual, when in fact they have eaten a full meal. Or, conversely, that they have to eat more to feel full.

Commencement of any medication associated with weight gain should come with a warning to the patient involved. Weight maintenance strategies should be evaluated. The patient should be weighed and regularly assessed, and be given the option of opting out if weight gain is a problem.

Having been on Mirtazapine for over 5 years, and now pregabalin, both associated with weight gain, I can't honestly remember whether my over-eating in the past felt the same as it does now.

At times, in fact quite often, I feel compelled to eat, even if I'm very full.

Now I accept that I was 4 stone overwight when I started mirtazapine, so I obviously over-ate.

However I'm not sure I felt the same compulsion that I do on these drugs. The intensity of the "need" to eat can be quite strong, it's almost an addictive withdrawal effect.

I understand, however, that if, as I do, you eat more at a certain time of the day, and you try to control that, your subconscious will rebel, and you'll feel an intense desire to eat.

But on mirtazapine and worse on pregabalin, I feel that intense "hunger" more often, so I'm sure some of it's related to the drugs.

My point being, as I had a weight problem before I took these drugs, it's difficult for me to differentiate between my own over-eating "habit" and the effect of the drug.

Hello

I certainly find it much more difficult to lose the weight whilst on these meds then I did before and even though I am only on low dose of both i still find I get more hungry then i used to...very frustrating as like you Mark was over-weight to begin with. I also now suffer with arthritis in my knee so find it hard to exercise and this was my key to sucessful weight loss in the past!!

I am really going to buckle down and try again from next week (am currently on a week off from work so not a good time to start)...just hope the weather improves and warms up a bit so I can munch on the old salad again....that should help!!

Jo.x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information