Thread: Drama Therapy??

Drama Therapy??

So last night I had class and the guest speaker was a drama therapist. She had us do a group for an hour of drama therapy. It was so much fun!!! We only did light stuff, but it can go much more in depth with time to address deeper issues of trauma and anxieties, etc.

Anyway just wondering if anybody has any experience with this? It was a lot of fun, we were up and moving around, laughing together, doing improv and just in the light and fun things we did the therapist was able to gather a lot of information about us and our personalities. It was very cool and allowed us to get out of our every day stresses for a little bit.

Not for everybody, that's for sure, but I thought I was going to hate it as I hate being on the spot and the center of attention. I really had fun, everybody was making a fool of themselves together and we had a good time.

Re: Drama Therapy??

Hi I had Psychodrama in hospital many years ago. It was a very powerful tool to access repressed emotions. We had two psychotherapists managing a group of about ten of us. We started off doing simple warm-ups and then if a few people wanted to 'act out' something then the two therapists would act as facilitators and help with the process. It could be very dangerous in the wrong circumstances.Regressing into events that happened in the past was a frequent occurrence.This was perceived as 'good' as the situation could be changed or our attitudes to it could be changed in the present. The emotions that were uncovered could be continued in group therapy. This type of therapy is very costly and not often seen in the UK now except at hospitals such as the Cassel Hospital. 'Acting out' can also mean behaving in a destructive way harmful to the individual. SH could be described as acting out but so could certain types of depression where someone withdraws from the world.It is usually a reaction to repressed emotions. EJ

Thread Information