Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is taking Diazapam cheating?

Is taking Diazapam cheating?

Is taking Diazapam just prelonging the time it will take for me to accept panic and try and get over it naturally?

I take 2mg either twice or three times a day at the moment, even if I feel OK, just to get through my day panic free.

I feel as if I'm cheating though and just masking the problem. I am also waiting for medication to kick in and start working (citalopram and pregabalin).

I know I can't take diazapam forever. I know I can't even take it in a few weeks time as I would of taken it for almost a month and at that time I'm surely at risk of dependency?

I tried not to take one all day yesterday but come 7pm I had a huge panic attack, rushed upstairs and took 5mg. I found 5mg to be VERY strong for me so I won't be taking that much on a normal basis.

I guess I'm just worried what I'm going to do when the Diazapam runs out and the doctor no longer gives me a prescription for more. They are an incredible crutch to get through my days.

Does anyone else feel this guilt?

Re: Is taking Diazapam cheating?

No! you are most certainly not cheating in any way You are just using a medication to help you through a tough time and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that After all, if we had a bad headache, we would take a pain killer wouldn't we? Taken diazapam is kind of giving you a little relief from your symptoms at this moment in time

You should find that as you recover and feel more confident, your need for the diazapam will lesson

I have been on it a few times, normally when my depression kicks in, but I only ever take 2mgs a time and only whilst I'm waiting for an increased dosage of anti depressant to kick in, then I don't feel that I need it any more

Please stop feeling guilty.......what have you to feel guilty for? you're unwell and trying to get yourself better which is the best thing that you can do for yourself so just hold your head up high, feel confident that you're on the right track and allow yourself to recover slowly

Hi there Cat

I think you and I will have to agree to disagree

I can't see the link with alcohol and drug taking with taking a medication, with which you are closely monitored by your doctor and are only usually on it very short term. If diazapam is used in small doses and only for a short period of time and I'm talking a few weeks here, there should be absolutely no problems with coming off of it at all

As I've said, I've been on it a few times and never once have I become addicted to it or suffered any withdrawal symptoms In actual fact, I had much more trouble being taken off of an anti depressant last year than I ever had stopping diazapam, I ended up with SSRI withdrawal syndrome which was really unpleasant

I also will have to differ with you on your saying that "It does not help you. It makes their workloads lighter.

I maybe one of the lucky one's I suppose, but I know that my doctor would not do that to me to make their life easier My doctor always has my health and well being, put first and I have every trust in them. I do know though that years ago tranquillisers were more or less given out like smarties and that wasn't good at all. However, now it is much more controlled and most GP's and psychiatrists will only use them in small doses for short periods of time

ive been on edge here , i been waiting for a thread like this . My Doctor had been prescribing me diazepam on repeat prescription for 4 years , and last year my dose of 10-20mg (weaned)dropped to nothing at all as doctor said i need not take it as i become addicted ,i wasnt feeling addicted at the time but now im sure the heck wants one , i had 3 emergency supplies of 8mg to get me through 1 day of the month at a time ,i havent taken any for 19 days and ive never been so anxious , sweating,shaking, trembling in the last 6 days by wanting one .The doctor has set up counselling in 2 weeks time for me , few weeks for Teds and few weeks to see my pyschiatrist , the urge is crippling me to take one and then start over again seeing these people . I been told ive got through the worst and my symptoms are more pyschological than physical , im also afraid of using my emergency supply as the doctor wont prescribe me more . I know feeling like this is crippling and i know by taking a diazepam what good feeling il get , a good one to get me through the day , but do i or dont i ?? rabbiting on now as shaky sorry x

Serenitie,

I acknowledge that in your profession you most probably have a better insight than many on here but I think one has to weigh up every single case differently.
    30 years ago I was put on mogodon which was for various rasons,bereavement,divorce and other things. my doctor just kept giving me mogodon and ativan on a repeat prescription for 3 years instead of a maximum 3 months. We are now wise to the effect these group of drugs could do and when I eventually came off them, I suffered "cold turkey" in the most horrendous way in my life.
    I have had period since then taking nearly ever single SSRI anti depressant and depending on circumstances they have helped but only taking the edge off my GAD and OCD and as I have got older no help at all.
    I take Diazapam and propranol at a monitored dose from my GP for the last 6 years never increased the dose and it helps me more than any other drug I have ever taken.
    I am not argueing the rights or wrong but I may suffer withdrawal symptoms if I ever come off them,but I am prepared to take the risk.

Thanks for all the replies to my question guys. It's nice to see it sparked a friendly debate too and that I get both sides.

I don't plan on taking this medication for years (I HOPE!).
    I am only on my second week of taking it regularly. I was very scared to take it at first from not really knowing enough about the medication and reading horror stories about dependence.
    I'm currently trying to settle into 30mg of Citalopram and Pregabalin. I have had a terrible mental breakdown since the very start of 2013. I went a month without taking a diazapam but spent my days crying in bed, scared of everything. I then took the one off VERY small dose of diazapam when I was having very bad panic attacks.
    Then my Citalopram was upped again and my doctor told me not to suffer and take the diazapam as needed and not be scared to take it.
    Things seem to be getting worse for me so I'm having to take 2mg in the morning and a 2mg in the evening. Sometimes a 2mg in the day too.
    It's taking the edge off my day. I don't know what I'd do without it right now. I'm suffering badlly with constant anxiety and terrible depersonalisation/derealisation and now agorophobia.
    Whilst I'm waiting for my medication to settle, I don't see any other option. I'm still suffering pretty badly but I don't know what else to do. I've seen doctors and a very expensive private consultant psychiatrist. They said it's going to take time for the medication to settle. I don't know what else to do. I'm trying CBT and all the coping methods.
    Without diazapam I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

This isn't to say that I'm not massively cautious about becoming reliant, thus my post.
    I don't agree that this is on par with alcohol or cannabis. I've not only had a life time of this, but I also have a nursing degree and did my dissertation on anxiety and anxiety medication. At the time I was coping fine on just Citalopram and have never need diazapam.
    It's only now that I'm taking it and suffering this badly that I'm asking other peoples opinions on it.

Alcohol causes all sorts of damage to our organs and gives us a hangover the next morning. Cannabis causes so many problems that I'm not going to waste my time listing them. To compare that to light diazapam use I believe was unhelpful to my original question.

This is certainly a very interesting debate

I have recently upped my dosage of Sertraline to 100mg from 50mg and am suffering some nasty anxiety symptoms. I too have been prescribed Diazepam 2mg. A few weeks prior to that I was prescribed Lorazepam 1mg, so I now have both

I feel very reluctant to take either of these Benzo's - I work in the NHS myself and am very aware of the dangers of addiction/dependance. This morning I woke up after a bad night with a racing heart and felt uncomfortable. I tried breathing exercises, but could not relax properly. Now, I do think the Sertraline is starting to work - the intrusive thought I have is in the background instead of being at the forefront of my mind, but I felt I needed a crutch so I took a 2mg Diazepam. This is the 6th Diazepam I have taken in 9 days- I am very wary. Sometimes I break a Lorazepam into pieces and take small amounts throughout the days. Lorazepam 1mg is much stronger than Diazepam 2mg as you will know

I used to drink Bacardi. A good double most nights. It became a habit. I certainly wasn't an alcoholic or dependant. I gave it up a month ago and not touched a drop since. It relaxed me after my busy day. I certainly wouldn't take Benzo's if I didn't think I needed them, and I still agonise every time - 'should I, shouldn't I'

Hi Steveo, I'm currently on 2mg of valium twice a day at the moment also. My doc had me on it 3x2mg a day for 5 days then 2x2mg a day for 7 days and for the last two days I've just to be on one then thats it finished! I've been told if not better by this Monday he will put me on citralpram or Prozac which I really really don't want with all the stories I have read on this. It does calm me also but on the other hand I feel I could just take one and I would be the same. After reading some of the comments I'm now worried sick that I am going to get withdrawals and know the doc will not give me anymore. I thought with it being such a small dose that I must be getting better and that I was controlling my anxiety as I feel my mind has changed with all the worrying thoughts I used to get. Now I feel I'm in charge of my anxiety and that I will be ok coming off the valium but after reading what people are saying I'm feeling confused!!

If you feel fine, then don't take them. They are a short acting drug.

I honestly wouldn't take all the scarey comments on board. It took me a month before I popped my first pill because I was so scared too.

People get withdrawal symptoms being on high doses for years. Please don't take on board the scary comments. Your usage is more than fine.

Thanks Steveo, I'm the same when taking any kind of tablet. I'm convinced its going to give me a reaction or kill me! Thats why I don't want an anti-depressant. I got sleeping tablets only 3.75mg for a week and was petrified to take them! I'm doing my best on my own so gonna keep trying, thats all we can do

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information