Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is taking Diazapam cheating?

Re: Is taking Diazapam cheating?

If taken sensibly I see no harm in taking diazepam as they do have their uses. Some people get into a flap and immediately go on about addiction and withdrawal as soon as Diazepam is mentioned, which is jumping the gun.

A Doctor should prescribe with care and monitor closely but like previous posters have said this isn't always the case and that's when problems can start. So help yourself by closely monitoring your usage and discuss it with your Doctor. I've used diazepam on and off for years and never become physically addicted as I haven't allowed it to happen. The only drug that had me physically addicted and caused an horrific withdrawal was venlafaxine and also duloxetine but not as severe.

I 100% agree with Bernie1977 here.

Diazepam is always mentioned as a horror drug due to addiction and withdrawal hell and yes doctors don't always do their best to check it's being given correctly so just use it when you feel a tad anxious. Or try and see how far you take manage the anxious feeling before you need the tablet. Otherwise, the dosage you are on is perfectly safe and no harm will come to you following those guidelines you mentioned.

We have come off on a tangent somewhat of my original question as to whether taking it was cheating and I believe I've answered that myself through all of these interesting comments. Paracetamol isn't cheating if I have a headache. Although a headache is physical and can't be 'thought' away. Anxiety isn't physical so therefore I would like to think I have the power to remove it or let it take over me. That's why I originally thought it was cheating.

On a completely separate note, I've started a daily blog about my current mental breakdown. So far it's written retrospectively about the last 50 days of my life and includes a fairly detailed background. I will be adding to it daily whilst I'm trying to fight this thing off! I've written it anonymously incase people find it off google, because I'm pretty easy to find on google and my real name links straight to my business so I don't want clients seeing it.
    http://mymentalbreakdown2013.blogspot.co.uk/

Maybe you might enjoy reading it every day, maybe not. It's therapeutic for me though.

Hi Steve,
    I too fully agree with Bernie

I will have a read of your blog later.

Noway diazpam really helps as long as u dont get addited to it when it comes to anxiety i would try anything that helped

I will keep using it until my meds kick in then.

I hate meds they worry me almost as much as the anxiety. I am on 2 mg diazipam BUT I cut them in half.........
    I would say dont just stop any meds - cut them down gradualy.

I must say that medication helps some people, not everyone. Some types of medication helps some people whereas other types helps others. I've not been lucky enough to find a medication and dose that works for me and have had nasty effects, including suicidal thoughts and very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms. Maybe the fact that I'm underweight plays a part, maybe not. I know people who function extremely well on medication, and kudos to them.

What I do want to say is that I believe medication should not be the last resort. I know therapy can work wonders with people, providing it's the right therapy for the right person and condition and with the right therapist. Medication, in the long run, can mask problems whereas therapy helps people to cope with these problems a more natural and healthy way. NICE recommend medication AND therapy for treatment and recovery, and they do know best.

Taking any medication is not cheating. Like someone said earlier you would take a pain killer for a headache and antibiotics for an infection, what's wrong taking medication for a mental illness? We all need a help in hand, if medication is the answer for the time being then go for it! I always aim to be med-free, sometimes I can't, but I know everytime I start a new course of medication I remind myself it is not forever.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Medication has helped be before (Citalopram) and that's perfectly safe to take long term. I don't plan on taking the diazapam for long as it's to ease my symptoms of starting back on the Citalopram. I understand that over the next month or so, I'm going to be in a bit of a dark hole whilst these meds sort themselves out in my brain so I need something to get me through that.

Tbh, I'm surprised you get any effect out of 2mg of Diazapam. It's a very very low dose.

I'm very sensitive to medication and I have only just started taking the Diazapam. I found 5mg too strong. Maybe in the next week I might have to increase but for it nicely takes the edge of my anxiety slightly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information