Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could this be SA?

Could this be SA?

For as long as I can remember I have had some symptoms that I now feel might be similar to some found in SA. I've suffered from depression on and off for 15 years but have never mentioned these other symptoms because I thought it was just me. One of my main sources of panic is making phone calls. Specifically, having to call people in authority or people that I don't know, though this has started to extend to friends. I have limited my social situations, for example staff parties. These is one coming up and I won't be going despite having attended one or two in the past. The thought of going makes me very uncomfortable. I can't stand the thought of being embarrassed, or doing something that will make people look at me. I know that I limit myself at work by 'keeping my head down' and flying under the radar, despite being very capable.

I have a GP appointment on Tuesday as I feel my depression may have returned. I don't know whether to mention these things or not. I'm already worried that I'm making something out of nothing by going, and I don't want them thinking I'm a total hypochondriac! It would be quite a big thing for me to mentions these symptoms.

Re: Could this be SA?

These symptoms are obviously bothering you so yes i would mention them when you go for your appointment as they could be contributing to your depression and your doctor may be able to refer you for CBT or some other form of counselling to help you to feel more confident.

Thank you for your reply. I'm always nervous of mentioning new symptoms to the GPs at my practice, so I suppose I was looking for a way of backing myself up before I went (if that makes any sense). I think I'm trying to convince myself that I need to go, when in actual fact I really don't want to. I'm focussing on the one good day I had out of 4 bad ones, rather than looking at it the other way round, anything to avoid going back.

It is always good to stay focused on the good days

I told my doctor that I think my anxiety is social anxiety.

I was told to go waiting room and fill in a questionnaire for depression and anxiety and to have blood test for thyroid.

He then agreed I'm suffering social anxiety and derpression and forward me for CBT and medication called sertraline.

Don't be embarrassed and tell your doctor everything so they can help.

Red

Thats sounds like SA, I would definitely mention it to your GP. I have had CBT for my SA and its helped a lot.

Thanks for all your responses. I will mention it. Had a blip earlier and have decided I really do need to keep that appointment. I'm thinking of writing everything down so I can remember it all, so many different things to mention now.

That's what I do, write down questions on a small post it note and take it in with me.

Red

I agree with everyone else, CBT should help you significantly with your Social Anxiety, teaching you how to deal with situations that make you feel uncomfortable and also help you increase your self confidence.

BobbyDog

I wanted to say thank again to everyone. I kept my appointment. I was absolutely sick to my stomach all day with nerves (no idea why), which were not helped by waiting 40 after my appointment time to be seen because he was running so late. All in all I was in the office for less than 5 mins. It was a complete whirlwind, and needless to say I didn't get to mention the SA. Came away with a prescription for 20mg citalopram, which I started this morning. Have been sick to my stomach and incredibly dizzy, but I Kia this will pass in time. Back to see him in 2 weeks.

In fairness he offered me counselling, but I find that such a vague term and I'm not sure how that would help me. I feel I'm getting much closer to wanting CBT, but I'm very concerned about some of the things I've read about CBT on the NHS. I would happily pay for it privately but I'd have to save up for it and it seems a minefield trying to find someone you click with. And how do you know if one therapist is better than an other... ?

Anyway, thanks again for all your advice, it's much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information