Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Tips/Tricks on treating anxiety?

Personal Tips/Tricks on treating anxiety?

Tomorrow I am planning on going out with my camera and taking pictures of the world around me, this is to challenge myself for my blog! (link is below) but I am very nervous... I keep imagining the worst possible scenarios. That I get run over, mugged, raped, killed, laughed at, attacked, told off, shouted at, judged, chased... I keep thinking that if I take my camera out, people will stop and ask me questions about it, and treat me as a criminal! I know these are silly fears, but I guess that is why I'm an agoraphobic.

I just wanted to start a thread to ask other peoples tips on how to cope? I know music in your ears can help, and dressing nicely before, and doing your little "routines" on preparing yourself, like locking up securely and having a bag full of essentials like purse... but does anyone else have any advice for me? :( I am determined to do this on my own, as meeting someone is usually what I do to calm down. But I want to face this head on, even if it is just ten minutes outside. Hoping to hear some thoughts and ideas, and your own experiences of what has helped you calm down when you are anxious and panicking Thank you - Grace

Re: Personal Tips/Tricks on treating anxiety?

I think what you've suggested there is a good start! I honestly don't know, I'm still a wreck going outside and stuff by myself so, can't really offer anything constructive.

I mainly wanted to say...Good luck! I hope you manage it and everything goes smoothly. Fingers crossed for you .

Thank you hun! I am nervous as hell but will try my best, will try and take baby steps xx

Hi Grace,

Your plans sound really positive and manageable, doing something that you enjoy for a short period of time

Breathing exercises, yoga and meditation are all great ways to unwind before you go out, as is a warm bubble bath and self massage to reduce physical tension which causes anxiety. Here are a few links that may help.

http://www.junior-anxiety-depression...l#HowToRecover

http://www.fragrantheart.com/cms/free-audio-meditations

If you get anxious while you are out, focus on a subject with your camera and work on getting a great shot, this will distract you from your anxiety.

Have a reward waiting for you at home to positively reinforce your achievement and progress.

This is a great step towards your recovery. I'm rooting for you and hope that you have a wonderful time spent in your own company, snapping away to your hearts content! Enjoy!

Cat

Deep breathing, distraction, small sips of fluids, I'm afraid I have started talking to myself as well, usually things like " I can do this " repeated over and over. Does seem to help. I know how you are feeling. I have to go through such a lot to do anything when my anxiety is bad. Good luck. x

Thank you guys, and I am glad to say, I did it!! I managed it! And I wrote a piece on how I did on my blog with the pictures I was nervous as hell and sweating a lot... but I did it, thank you for the support and kind words of advice It helped, it really did xxx

What a wonderful achievement, Grace! You have such a beautiful record of your day and your achievement through your photographs too

You should be really proud of yourself! Well done!

Cat xxx

Going out on the photowalk will the awesome Grace! I'm going off to check out your blog after this post, I love photography too and am also heading out on a walk tomorrow morning

I think you'll find once you get into taking photos that you'll be so lost in having fun and thinking about the shots you're taking, that you won't be anxious at all.

I find if I'm getting a bit overwhelmed when I'm out and about on my own that a little focus on breathing can help. I breathe in for 7 counts and out for 11 counts, it really helps. You can do this anywhere without anyone noticing (I often use it when I'm really squashed on public transport).

Maybe for your next walk you could bring a photographer friend with you, the fun of taking photos with someone else who shares your passion will be really relaxing

EDIT: Aw man, I just realised I'm far too late with this post lol! Sorry bout that!!

Yay! I'm really glad you let us know that you managed to do it. Well done! Very happy for you . Glad you managed to push through everything and have a great day! Hope you have lots more of them . And the pictures are lovely too. Good job!

Well done! I have looked at your photos on your blog and they are very good. Although you were nervous, the important thing is that you did it and that you have a sense of achievement.

I find that going out for walks (mostly in the countryside) and taking photos helps to relax me and take my mind off things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information