Thread: Purpuric Spots, Thrush, High ESR

Purpuric Spots, Thrush, High ESR

Hi fellow HA sufferers,

I just need to vent my worries about my latest scare. The other day I spotted two purpuric spots on my right upper arm and yesterday another appeared.

I tried the CBT method of challenging my worries by reassuring myself that I had bloods done in December and WBC was slightly high but nothing GP was concerned about. However my ESR levels were showing as high and they were also high on my repeat bloods 3 weeks ago. I told GP I had thrush (have had since Jan and it either didn't go away or has come back. Since speaking to the GP I have tried Canesten cream and pharmacy brand Clotrimazole but it still doesn't seem to have gone).
    GP said that thrush could be the cause of high ESR and to have a repeat blood next month.
    Again, I tried to put this at the back of my mind and was doing ok until the spots arrived.

I had two purpuric spots on my chest in Dec 2010 and they turned out to be nothing to worry about so I tried to reassure myself with this but then I didn't have any additional symptoms.

I just wanted to ask a couple of things really. Firstly, is it less concerning that I only have a couple of spots in the same place? I can't put it down to trauma as I don't remember hurting myself there. This also goes for a bruise currently on my right knee - and I don't bruise often at all.

Also, is it likely that my two-month old blood results would have changed between then and now?

My concerns are Leukaemia, Lymphoma and a new concern is Lupus. Just waiting for surgery to open so I can book a telephone consultation with the GP - trying desperately not to panic in the meantime! :-(

Re: Purpuric Spots, Thrush, High ESR

Went to the docs who wasn't worried about the spots and even asked me what was concerning me about them (not rudely but it surprised me). He stated that the ESR was high but not significant enough for him to worry and to repeat the bloods in 3 months.
    He thinks the thrush not resolving is one of those things and gave me a prescription for a Fluconazole to take orally.

He went through all the blood tests I'd had recently and used them to explain that he could not even begin to know where to start investigating as ESR is so non-specific and I wasn't having any of the symptoms he asked me to. He also said my platelet count had been normal so spots definitely aren't internal bleeding. He does want me to provide a urine sample though.

After all this I came home and started to feel like I had a sore throat coming on, now it's worsened and I have a temperature and feel nauseous - I'm almost certain I picked this up in the waiting room at the surgery as some guy was coughing near me! Blooming typical!!

Thread Information