Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agoraphobia/social anxiety

Agoraphobia/social anxiety

What is it I have? Here we go, long story hopefully cut short.

I was attacked by my brother last September, slowly I started withdrawing from the outside world, staying at home, scared in shops/cafes etc.... I stopped visiting friends too so became so lonely. My 'family' took my brothers side saying he is 'ill' so can't control his anger and because I cut him off I am the bad guy, so basically I became very low and lonely. I have a wonderful husband and 3 beautiful children who have been very understanding.

By December going into a public place was hell, at school concerts I wanted to run out, I felt dizzy, anxious, light headed, sickly, heart racing and hot flushes in my face. In the end I stopped going out so my GP had to come to my house to see me. He put me on an anti depressant to help anxiety which worked well but 7 weeks in I woke one night with my heart racing in the night, I had never had this before, nor had I ever worried about my heart so I decided to come off the medication as my GP said they can cause heart problems.

I am now off medication, 2 weeks now and feeling ok but the feelings of going into shops are creeping back and I am starting to find it hard again where as the med had helped abit. I am pushing myself and going to shops, resturants etc... but when I am there I feel trapped, can't wait until the end is in sight, I find it a very scary experience. The fear is of fainting infront of people and everyone seeing me having a panic attack, and doing this infront of my children. Once I had a panic attack in a shop, my heart raced, I was hot, my legs went to jelly, all at the checkout, that was another reason I stopped going out, I felt such a fool and it scared me.

I have my GP today at 3.30 and the thought of going scares me, he always keeps me waiting and I hate waiting in the waiting room, incase I feel anxious and can't leave, or panic infront of everyone.

I hate that these feelings are creeping back:-( I don't know how to stop them and just live a normal life. I want to work, I have a job interview monday but I doubt i will go because I can't sit in a room feeling trapped.

Can I do this without medication? I push myself daily to the shops, take my children out, but it is exhausting. I don't stay indoors but it is getting me down feeling like this, I fear it will beat me.

In the past I have only suffered health anxiety, so this is so new to me and I am not sure how to beat it. My GP referred me to the mental health team and after my assessment he said I could fight this on my own using past CBT techniques, but I had CBT for health anxiety, 5 years ago, very different.

Any advice appreciated. I am only 33, I have my life ahead of me, I am sick of being stuck at home or having to force myself to do things I used to take for granted.

Re: Agoraphobia/social anxiety

I've suffered with agoraphobia and social anxiety for 9 years,I'm only 31,it's only since I was put on the correct medication for me that I have been pushing myself to go out alone,I am also waiting for c.b.t,send me a p.m if you would like to chat xx

Thank you, I will do x

Anyone else?

Focus on the positives and not the negatives, you are managing to get out places, shopping, restaurants etc...I know you find it hard and worrying about it but you are making good progress because you are doing it, so give your self a pat on the back and a well done for what you are achieving. x

Thank you so much Ann xxx

Oh man, that must be hard :( Being attacked by anyone is hard... let alone from someone in your family that you love and care about. From the sounds of it, you have trauma related anxiety and Agoraphobia that can manifest into social phobia.

Have you thought about seeing a therapist or even support groups?

Hi Pearl35. Come and join us on the Agoraphobia thread in the Phobias section. We are forming a group who can share difficulties and give each other support in getting out and about.
    You can access a telephone CBT course with No Panic. The membership is £12 a year. Here is the link, click CLICK HERE http://www.nopanic.org.uk/resources.html

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I've been assessed and put on a waiting list for at least a year for therapy:((

Thanks Flossie, will take a look x

I used to suffer from severe agoraphobia but I managed to overcome it for the most part. I still find some situations tough, but general stuff like shopping and going out for dinner and lunch etc I seem to be able to cope with now. I think it was CBT that helped me the most. I managed to see the anxiety for what it was and realise that it couldn't harm me. When I start to get those feelings I say to myself "Stop! It's that stupid anxiety again. It's probably just because I'm tired or stressed out. I'm going to go and indulge myself in something I love to look at/go buy something yummy and healthy and good for me/think about some relaxing things I can do to make myself better when I get home etc." So yeah, just try to distract myself with something that is positive and makes me feel good.

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

It's obviously not as easy as all that, but if you give it a go it does become easier and then it starts to become a habbit.

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

Also, here's a link to some online modules to help with anxiety. If you scroll down, there is one for panic that might help you. You shouldn't have to wait 12 months for help! Is there somewhere else that you could go to get the help you need? I found a local women's centre in my city who have counsellors for a small donation.

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

woops - here's the link: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/consumers.cfm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information