Thread: went to dr today..started new med..worried about taking it

went to dr today..started new med..worried about taking it

so i went to the dr today for a follow up from my chest xray and EKG..she said all looked good..we talked about my increased health anxiety since my brain surgery and how my heart palpitations have gotten worse (i have always had a fast heart rate) so she decided to start me on metoprolol ER 25mg one time a day...she wants me to take it before bed because i told her that when i wake up in the morning i already feel like i drank a pot of coffee (and i don't even drink coffee because i can't stand the effects of caffiene) she said it should help with that feeling..so my health anxiety is making me dread taking the pill because i'm worried it will slow my heart down too much and i won't wake up in the morning..uugghhhh

Re: went to dr today..started new med..worried about taking it

Aw that sucks! I sympathise though, I always fear new meds in case they make me ill. Although you'll normally be taking them before bed, could you take the first one during the day, just as a test to reassure you that you won't have any adverse reaction to it?

Re: went to dr today..started new med..worried about taking it

I'm also the same with new meds, worried that I'm going to be allergic to them mostly...

Would you be able to break one of the tabs in half and just try that for the first time? If it would make you feel more secure, then it might be an idea.. but check with your doctor or pharmacist first, because some tabs shouldn't be broken.

I've just done similar this week, been put on some new antibiotics, and was supposed to take 2 immediately, then one a day... I just took one, waited a few hours to make sure there were no adverse effects, then took the 2nd one for that day.... and I was fine.

Thread Information