Thread: Had 24 ECG from doc, now been called into hospital appt

Had 24 ECG from doc, now been called into hospital appt

Hi Everyone,

Well, after a great period of handling my anxiety really well, something has come up that has sent me right into panic mode!

Due to my palpitations, which are brought on by chocolate (caffeine), and stress, my GP agreed to put me on a 24hr ECG, to put my mind at rest that what was happening was normal, brought on mainly by anxiety, and harmless.

HOWEVER.

I had the 24hr ECG last week, I deliberately came home and ate some chocolate to bring on a few palpitations. Which it did, one of the was quite a good 'thump', and I was quite pleased that at least I could say to my GP, "that's what happens".

They told me that it would be up to 10 working days to get the results.

Today though, a letter has landed on my door saying that I have to go to the Bracknell Cardiology clinic, for ANOTHER ECG monitor. This is on the 3rd of April. They haven'tticked the box to say if it's a 24hr ECG again, or longer this time.

Thing is, I have NO CLUE, if they have seen a problem, if the ECG didn't work properly the first time, if there is reason to worry, and of course this has sent me straight into anxiety mode.

I have called NHS Direct, who can't tell me anything. I called the Bracknell Clinic, who can't tell me anything until Monday. I then called my GP surgery and have requested a call back from the emergency doctor, with the hope that he/she can access my records as then they can see the report sent to the hospital.

Has anyone else had this? I'm very scared right now and would really appreciate the benefit of someone's experience with this.

Thank you.

Re: Had 24 ECG from doc, now been called into hospital appt

i had a 24 hour ecg on tuesday by the hospital following a cardiologist appointmen but dont know the results yet they told me if anything urgent come up they would ring me

when i initially had one in the doctors my doctor thought she saw something on it but wasnt sure it could have just been the way my heart is and thats why i was refferd to the cardiologist
    i think most of the time they just like to cover there own back (and scare us to death)
    i am sure if there was anything to worry about at all then they wouldnt leave it till april it could just be like you said it didnt work properly or something like that
    i know its hard but try not to worry if the doctor cant access your records wait till monday theres noting else you can do until then
    frosty x

My GP told me that the 24hr trace is sent to a place in Reading to be looked at. So I am assuming it is those guys over there that have noticed something. I just wish they wouldn't send out letters like this with no information to put the patient's mind at rest.

My out of hours doctor has just phoned me. He said that it is quite common for people to be called in for another monitor at the clinic, and that our of the hundreds of people who have palpitations, it is only a small handful that actually have an issue with them.

It has put my mind at rest a little bit but I'm still very much 'in the zone'.

Thanks Frosty for your reply. I hope you get your results soon and can put your own mind at rest.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronB View Post
    My GP told me that the 24hr trace is sent to a place in Reading to be looked at. So I am assuming it is those guys over there that have noticed something. I just wish they wouldn't send out letters like this with no information to put the patient's mind at rest.

My out of hours doctor has just phoned me. He said that it is quite common for people to be called in for another monitor at the clinic, and that our of the hundreds of people who have palpitations, it is only a small handful that actually have an issue with them.

It has put my mind at rest a little bit but I'm still very much 'in the zone'.

Thanks Frosty for your reply. I hope you get your results soon and can put your own mind at rest.
    My grandma had an issue with her monitor. At some point she managed to mess up the wires just slightly enough that the reading hadn't come out right. So yes, having to do it twice doesn't mean it's something serious.

It sounds like your doc has a good idea what is making your palps happen, so hopefully that's all it is. Feel better soon!

Thread Information