Thread: The Fish Oil, Omega-3 and EPA Guide

The Fish Oil, Omega-3 and EPA Guide

PsychoPoet Research Initiative
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

OMEGA-3 and EPA

Hi all,

In this day and age it seems that anxiety and depression are poised to become the biggest threat to the health of modern humans. While there are plenty of existing medical treatments and a number of promising up-and-coming drugs, it seems to me that we're missing something. Mental health issues seem to be poorly understood and are not always met with the correct kind of treatment.

Well, to this I say: Bum Bums. Anxiety and depression cannot be allowed to take over, so let's find out what's in the armoury.

The role of our diet in mental health

Mental health is affected by a number of factors: genetic, environmental, diet, physical.

In this guide I am going to concentrate on "diet", or in this case a specific supplement: Omega-3, commonly called "fish oil".

By "diet", I mean the foods and supplements we eat, I don't mean wrapping yourself in cling film while looking at pictures of skeletal models.

You can also find a discussion of Omega-3 in my Citalopram Survival Guide. If you haven't checked the Survival Guide out, please do so as soon as you can cos there is a very large amount of information about fighting back against anxiety and depression.

Sponsored by that bit where Optimus Prime shouts "Never!" and t**ts Megatron off the ledge in "Transformers: The Movie (1984)"

Omega-3: The Basics

What is Omega-3?

Omega-3 is a fatty acid found in fish oil. It is normally supplied in transparent or semi-transparent gelatin capsules which are swallowed with water. It is not produced within the human body unless you're a Deep One hybrid from the Lovecraft mythos, so people take Omega-3 supplements as part of healthy diet.

How is Omega-3 related to mental health?

Trials and anecdotal evidence show that Omega-3 appears to offer health benefits to humans. Some of these benefits are disputed, but new evidence to support Omega-3 regularly appears.

It is believed that Omega-3 helps to improve mood, enables people to concentrate better and may help to increase the efficiency of their memory. Basically, Omega-3 seems to do what your brain what oil does for a car engine: it gets rid of all the sharp bits and keeps things running freely and smoothly.

Can I take Omega-3 with antidepressants?

Yes.

Can Omega-3 cure anxiety and depression?

No, it is not a cure, and it seems to be more effective for some people than for others. At this stage a medical cure for anxiety and depression is beyond our technology. (See this thread for more information about upcoming and experimental treatments for depression and anxiety.)

Omega-3 is a health supplement. The cure for anxiety and depression lies in discovering and eliminating the causes - for example, negative schemas (thoughts and belief systems) that cause you to see the world through a negative and hopeless bias. Unless you get around to doing this at some point, you will always risk a relapse, no matter what treatment you undergo.

A person who is struggling with any type of mental health issue should seek professional support such as CBT and a support group. You should also consider self-hypnosis and self-affirmation; look into Mindfulness, which is a very important skill in learning to understand, cope with and eventually trust yourself.

Does Omega-3 really work?

As stated, there isn't enough medical evidence to support Omega-3's effects against certain conditions, but this doesn't mean it won't work. It seems to be the accepted thinking among support groups and therapists that Omega-3 is a Good Thing.

How long does Omega-3 take to work?

You should take it consistently for several weeks before you start to notice any benefit. Some reports indicate that some people notice the benefits quite quickly.

What is the difference between fish oil, Omega-3 and EPA?

For our purposes, "fish oil" and "Omega-3" are interchangeable. The reality is a bit more complicated. I use the term "Omega-3" to refer specifically to the dietary supplement. Therefore this article is about using a dietary supplement and is not about foods which contain fish oil.

Omega-3 dietary supplements contain EPA. EPA is discussed below.

Where can I buy Omega-3?

You can buy it from supermarkets and health shops. Omega-3 is commonly available.

If you buy a combined Omega-3 and vitamin supplement, and are also taking multivitamins, make sure you are not overdosing on vitamins. Some vitamins (A and E) can have severe health consequences if you consistently overdose on them.

Taking Omega-3

How do I take it?

Follow the dose stated on the container. Do not take more than this, as there are possible health consequences for consistent omega-3 overdose. Also, if the Omega-3 is combined with vitamins, you have even more reason not to exceed the stated dose.

There are no benefits to exceeding the stated dose.

Taking overdoses of Omega-3 will not allow you to experience benefits more quickly. Everything takes time. And why are you trying to overdose on something that came out of a fish?

When do I take it?

This supplement should be taken with food following the dose instructions on the container.

What does it taste like?

I don't know, given that the instructions clearly say DO NOT CHEW.

What does "take with food" mean?

You take it with a drink during or just after your meal. This helps the body to absorb the supplement. Obviously you don't mash it all in with your food. It would taste like the armpit of a man from Cornwall (I would imagine).

What happens if I miss a dose?

It doesn't really matter that much. Just try to stick to the dose instructions in order to see a consistent benefit.

Benefits of Omega-3

What can I use Omega-3 for?

Omega-3 has been demonstrated in trials to be effective in the following situations:

* Anxiety-based disorders.

* Depression and low mood, probably including those with suicide ideation.

* Memory and concentration: Now you can remember which edition Warhammer 40,000 is currently on. Not that this matters, since there's always another one out soon.

* Loneliness and social isolation.

* Schizophrenia: Early treatment with Omega-3 may significantly delay, hinder or prevent the onset of schizophrenia in those who are at risk or who are starting to present symptoms. Treatment for those who have developed schizophrenia may reduce the severity of some symptoms and enable people to take a more active role in life.

* Autism spectrum disorders.

* Aspergers: While aspergers is a type of autism, Omega-3 is regarded as important in the managing of certain aspergers personality traits as it may reduce the severity of some behavioural issues, enabling the person to be calmer and take a more active role in life.

* ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) - also called ADD (attention Deficit Disorder) in the States: Appears to neutralise symptoms of ADHD, noticeably so in children.

* Blood pressure: May possibly reduce blood pressure.

* Heart attacks: May lower the risk of a heart attack.

* Possible anti-inflammatory benefits.

* Possible reduction of pain in the joints (linked to anti-inflammatory benefits?).

* Possible improvement in asthma symptoms while exercising.

* Improves the effects of certain medications: Citalopram users seem to benefit from Omega-3 but I am not entirely sure why. Perhaps it's because citalopram seems better at fighting anxiety than depression, and Omega-3 is believed to offer relief from depression symptoms. Or perhaps it's some kind of magic - magic that only citalopram users can wield.

Note that Omega-3's effects on autism spectrum disorders (such as aspergers) and ADHD are not fully supported by the medical community as more research needs to be done. However it is still recommended that those with autism or ADHD do consider taking Omega-3.

What CAN'T I use Omega-3 for? (Omega-3 contraindications)

Omega-3 has few interactions, and the interactions it does have with other medications tend to be beneficial.

Speak to a health professional before taking omega-3 supplements if you suffer from any of the following:

* Atrial Fibrillation
    * Liver Problems
    * Abnormal Liver Function Tests
    * Diabetes
    * Taking blood-thinning medication

How does Omega-3 compare to placebo?

In medical trials, Omega-3 often outperforms placebo by a significant margin. In one recent study of schizophrenia, for example, 3% of people displaying early symptoms went on to develop schizophrenia after taking Omega-3 supplements. Of those who took placebo, 28% went on to develop schizophrenia. That's a difference of 25 people out of every 100. Bitching!

Omega-3 Deficiency

It seems that it is possible to suffer from a deficiency of Omega-3. This may be due to some people taking in too much Omega-6 (see below). Symptoms include:

* Tiredness
    * Depression, or low or irritable mood, or mood swings
    * Poor memory/concentration
    * Possible problems with your immune system
    * Problems with your hair and skin
    * Supposedly, heart problems

Omega-3 Side Effects

Taking good-quality Omega-3 may reduce the possibility of side effects. However, there is no such thing as a "medical dose" and you cannot buy medical-grade Omega-3 as it does not exist!

Omega-3 does have minor side effects in some cases, most of which will not cause any concern unless you're in one or more of the contraindication groups listed above.

However, some people report belching. It's just belching, you won't be able to fart the first four notes of the Dallas theme tune. EDIT: You may be able to belch them.

I have heard anecdotal evidence that it can cause a person's breath or skin to smell, but I'm not sure about that!

What to Watch Out For

Avoid "Omega 3-6-9" supplements. You are just looking for Omega-3. In people with aspergers, taking Omega 3-6-9 can be counter-productive due to the effects of Omega-6, which counteract the health benefits of Omega-3. Do not allow yourself to be sold on the "benefits" of Omega-3-6-9.

Also, a diet high in Omega-6 may create an Omega-3 deficiency which can lead to the symptoms listed above.

Omega-3 Miscellaneous

Is Omega-3 addictive?

No.

Is Omega-3 safe in the long term?

There are no indications that Omega-3 supplements are harmful in the short or long term. However, you need to make sure you don't exceed the recommended daily dose.

Is Omega-3 safe for my children?

Yes. In fact, it's probably recommended. Many of the studies into using Omega-3 as a treatment for autism spectrum disorders and ADHD used children. Children may benefit greatly from Omega-3 supplements. In one study, use of Omega-3 virtually annihilated the development of schizophrenia compared to placebo. I'm not sure what the age group for that study was but it seems likely that they were teenagers.

EPA

EPA is short for eicosapentaenoic acid. (Try saying that three times fast. Don't you love science?)

EPA is an Omega-3 fatty acid. When you buy Omega-3 supplements, you will see a quantity of EPA and DHA listed on the back. Generally speaking, you are looking for a supplement that is high in EPA.

It is currently thought that higher levels of EPA are very beneficial to our mental wellbeing. For example, when blood tests were peformed on a number of people who survived suicide attempts, they were all found to have a low level of EPA in their blood. It seems to be fairly well-accepted that EPA is effective at controlling mood disorders, which is why Omega-3 is good at fighting anxiety and depression.

According to a recent study, EPA seems to be very effective against ADHD and autism-spectrum disorders, particularly in children (although the studies are likely to have focused on children rather than adults).

While it's not clear how EPA helps against psychosis, there is consistent evidence that EPA does help to prevent the development of schizophrenia and helps to manage symptoms if schizophrenia has developed. There may be benefits against other types of mental illness as well.

Note that autism spectrum disorders are not the same as psychosis because autism is not a mental illness. The autism spectrum defines a set of personality types, not a set of illnesses.

DHA

Docosahexaenoic acid is an Omega-3 fatty acid. Studies have not shown any beneficial effects of taking higher doses of DHA for nervous illness unless the person is DHA deficient. Therefore, DHA is of no interest to this Guide, except for one fact:

It seems that people with a poor EPA-DHA balance (as in, they have low EPA and higher DHA levels) may be prone to depression and mood disorders. A good EPA-DHA balance is required to benefit our mental health. However I have never seen anything to suggest that a high EPA-low DHA balance is a bad thing provided you are not DHA deficient.

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

* Updated with all the information currently available.

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

* Edited to make more sense.

* Added "Difference between fish oil, omega-3 and EPA" which I forgot to include earlier. D'oh!
    Last edited by NoPoet; 11-03-13 at 22:34.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Re: The Fish Oil, Omega-3 and EPA Guide

Nice work PP, very interesting. I take so many supps I rattle but might think about adding omega 3. Best wait till I get my fasting glucose test result by the sound of it though.

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Hi, good luck with the test. Thanks for the encouragement

Surprised this hasn't got more comments since Omega-3 is so popular, but I guess the Omega-3 guide doesn't really leave anything to say :P

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Yeah it's self explanatory and leaves very few questions to be asked as you've covered it all which can only leave me to say - Thankyou very much for some an informative guide!!!

Thanks for this-really useful.

If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best.

Yes I'd heard omega 3 was good for brain functioning - improving concentration. I used to take it but stopped a few years ago. Thanks for the information - it is definitely food for thought x

Anybody know anything about Krill Oil as an omega 3 source instead of fish oil? I saw something on TV about it being better absorbed than fish oil.

Thread Information