Thread: Anxiety about exercising... Help :-(

Anxiety about exercising... Help :-(

So I know that exercise would probably really help my anxiety because it releases tension. But problem is the main thing that scares me witless during panic attacks is my heart rate (as in heart going really fast). So doing any physical activity that makes my heart race (as you'd expect it to) is scary to me right now and it just feels like a panic attack. Even climbing the stairs worries me. I feel a bit plump and very sluggish and unhealthy and would love to exercise! But I just don't feel brave enough to do it!! And then I worry even more that if I don't get fit I will be really unhealthy and have health problems later and not live very long!! Anyone else have this problem?! How can I get exercising when I'm not comfortable with increased heart rate :(

Re: Anxiety about exercising... Help :-(

got the t shirt with this one wouldnt dream of jogging when the heart starts racing feels like a panic attack, im stupid though if i go swimming and its been a while in between swims i get nackered doing a few lengths i dont think well your just a bit unfit i think ive got a heart problem which sets of my ocd of checking my pulse all the time your not alone

I have the same problem. I know that I should be exercising, that it would make my life so easier but I am so afraid of exercising. Any physical activity will make my heart race and even if I know it's caused by anxiety, I think that it's beating too fast and that I'm in danger. I think that if I could exercise at home, it would be less difficult as I'm agoraphobic. If you have that "freedom", I'd advice you to try to exercise really gradually and to do that accompanied by someone you trust so they can talk you through your irrational fears. I've heard some people "kill" their panic attacks by exercising. Now that would be great...

I've had the same - I work out quite regularly probably on the same basis as you in that I weren't fit enough and worried a little about the future and my fitness levels. I'm also a very slim guy natuarally so wanted to beef up a little....

One particular Sunday I went for a morning workout and all went as normal, but being as it was a nice sunny morning I walked to the gymn rather than drove. Anyway walking back I had a really bad panic attack totally out the blue and literally thought this is it Had no phone and was about two miles from home. It was months after that before I entered the gym again purely as I was frightened of another attack and the exact same thing about my heartrate.

But....A part of me really wanted to continue because before the panic attack I was really enjoying it and it was making me feel good about myself and I weren't looking too bad.

I took the plunge and went, but no one was forcing me and if I didn't feel great I could leave. I took it step by step only lifting light weights, taking a little breather between excercises and before I knew it my confidence was back and I was really pushing myself.

What I have found though is that although your heartrate is up etc....its not that same as a panic attack or anxiety, the extra oxygen your intaking is being used by the muscles and you can feel that (if that makes any sense)

Give it a go, take it easy to begin with and as your confidence grows you'll naturally progress

Thread Information