Thread: Fired by Therapist

Fired by Therapist

Oh dear. Not a great day. I've been seeing a therapist to combat my PTSD. I've had two very serious bouts of PTSD in the last ten years. I've seen her maybe 7 or 8 times and its a two hour drive to get to her and back. Today was the first time I'd seen her in about two months. Over the weekend I went on a bit of an alcoholic binge session. Something I stupidly do when my anxiety gets really bad. I KNOW it doesn't help and I do my best to regulate my drinking but sometimes can't. Ideally I know I shouldn't drink at all. Anyway today my therapist said I smelt of alcohol although I hadn't had a drink today, NB I had to drive there and I never drink and drive. Chances are I did smell from the weekend. On my clothes, whatever. Anyway she questioned me about my drinking and I was honest and said that I thought I had a problem and I definitely binged drink. She then told me she couldn't treat me and that she can't see me any more. She's a professional and I'm not so I'm sure her reasoning is sound. That stated I felt so hurt and rejected. This was the first instance in over a year that this issue was raised. Its never come up before as I've never smelt of alcohol before. The drive home was horrendous. She asked me if I had someone to go home to to which I replied no, expressed concern that I would be too anxious to drive home, but that was it. Getting rejected by a therapist out of the blue, and it was out of the blue, really has knocked me for six. Any other people have experience with this. Please note I am not criticizing my therapist. I'm sure she had sound professional reasons but its still a bit of a shock.

J

Re: Fired by Therapist

Wow, I would go to your GP and explain what has happened to see if you can work out where to go from here. Tell him/her that you hadn't been drinking and that the fumes were from the weekend binge session. It is likely though that your doctor will advise you to seek help for your binge drinking. They seem to be very on the ball about these things now.
    Not sure what else you can do.

BobbyDog

Did she give you any advice about steps you needed to take before she could treat you again? If that was the first time you arrived smelling of alcohol then it sounds an over reaction. She could have set clear boundaries about not drinking the night before future sessons.
    If alcohol misuse is an addiction then you could try to address this first through support, but if you binge drink every so often to cope with difficult symptoms then you need to be helped to find other coping strategies, through therapy!

Was it private or NHS?

Thanks for your replies guys. It was private. Its not that that bothers me. It was the shock/ hurt of the blunt rejection. I was given some positive steps which I'm putting in to action such as going to see my GP, earliest appointment next week, and getting some self help.

This morning was AWFUL though. Just couldn't move.

M

Well, first she definitely did not handle the situation the best way. She should not have just thrown that on you like that, saying that she can't treat you and goodbye. That is not very professional or kind of her to do.

I will say that being in school to be a therapist we are taught that it is unethical to treat somebody for a condition we are not trained to treat. If she is trained in PTSD and trauma, but not alcoholism, it is technically not ethical for her to treat your alcohol problem if she does not feel she is adequately trained in that area.

That being the case, she should have explained it more thoroughly, possibly continue to see you for your PTSD because the rapport has been built, and refer you to somebody who can adequately treat your alcohol problem or a group like alcoholics anonymous.

I am sorry she did not do this kindly!

Oh sweetheart, I have been in a similar situation :( I saw a therapist for 6 months and one day she just said to me "I think she should stop the sessions as I have iller people to deal with" ! Just because for two weeks I was going through a good patch she thought I was well again, when really my problems are long term. I really do feel for you, and we are all allowed to drink now and then, we are not prisoners! I suggest getting a new therapist, one who is a little more relaxed and will treat you like a human being, not a job. Best of luck xx

Thanks for all your replies. They are appreciated. In all fairness she did say she was not trained to treat alcoholism but only PTSD hence she couldn't see me and also added that PTSD doesn't work when drinking. What I'm confused about and I mentioned this was that if I did stop drinking would she see me then and I think she still said no. I will confirm this in a phone call with her later in the week. She has agreed to talk to me again. But it was just the bluntness. One time I turn up smelling of booze, I don't doubt her about that- it may have been on my clothing- and a snap decision was made. As stated though she's the professional.

She may be a professional in that she is qualified in her area of expertise, but she really lacks people skills, a little diplomacy and genuine consideration for her fellow human beings would not go amiss.
    Try not to take it too personally.x

BobbyDog

Thread Information