Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gonna face the fear (of flying) and on my own

Gonna face the fear (of flying) and on my own

So I have committed myself (well almost) to doing 2 flights in a day for work (appx 30 mins each way on a quite small plane- small to me about 80 seats). This will be in a week or two.
    I need something scary to focus on to stop me thinking too much about the past & this would be right at the top of my fear scale. It would push me to the limit of my endurance as it encompasses several fears:
    -Well, flying for starters; the sensation of flying (which I hate) & fear of getting airsick (or that happening to anyone else as I'm a big time emetophobe).
    -I've never flown alone, let alone got myself to an airport alone or done any of the thigns I'd need to like check in etc.
    -At the other end I'd have to find the other office.... I know that's nothing in the scheme of things but it all adds to the fear as I'd have to get a taxi as well. Again I've been in taxis before of course but not on my own.
    -Then I have to make sure there's a taxi to take me back to the airport later.
    - at some point I'll need to eat (no big deal I know but it is if you're scared of getting airsick believe me!).
    This really will be a scary day but I know that part of the process of moving on is to challenge myself in the present. I'm way too focused in the past & need something to focus me back in the present. I anticipate crying all the way there & back but so what if that happens (at the least I'll probably just freak some other poor sole on the flight!).
    What's important is I could go with a colleague but I'd rather face it alone. I dont want to cry infront of them & look stupid. So I'll be doing it for me and no-one else.
    I might even enjoy a day's freedom once a week & there's the option of doing it each week but not sure my ears could take that many flights as I perforated my ear drum years ago & it hurts when I fly (I mean so much I'm in agony so I'd have to be careful).
    Oh well, just had to share my fear as I am making this a reality now. I've worked here 2 yrs & put it off but I think the time is right. I told my colleague this morning & felt like I wanted to cry.
    Another one of my colleagues is always winding me up about doing this but I want her to butt out. She'd better or I'll probably end up telling her to get lost (& being scared means I wont be polite abou it either!).
    That's it, best be off and get on with my work, but since this was work related I dont think they'd mind me getting it off my chest while I'm at work!

Re: Gonna face the fear (of flying) and on my own

Very well done Tessar. A big brave step but I'm sure you'll reap the benefits. Very best of luck! x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Well done Tessar ... very very brave of you for trying to conquer not just one fear at a time, but quite a few! We'll all be sending you extremely positive vibes .. but am sure you'll do well! Big hugs!! xxx

its looking like weds 20th.... i think the best thing is i get the flights booked asap and then forget about it til then!!!!! At least that way I know where I am at. I've even told my counsellor now so looks like I wont be backing out.............

Well done Tessar..you can do it, you are stronger than you think. To get to where we are now we have had to be strong. Really pleased you have decided to do this

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i feel rather nervous about it; just need to get on with some work instead of thinking about it now. when i get nervous etc i want to stuff my face. but now i'm full. oh, will have to wait a bit. someone just went & bought a big choc cake for the office. ooh, i feel a coffee coming on later with a nice slice of cakE!!!

I have some birthday cake left if you want some?

yay send it over.......yum yum.

on its way

Wow Tessar, that's really brave and strong of you! You will be just fine. Sure the first time you do it you'll be anxious but think how proud you'll feel when you get home! And then each time after that should get easier as it isn't the first.

Hope you enjoyed your cake xx

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information