Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Gonna face the fear (of flying) and on my own

Re: Gonna face the fear (of flying) and on my own

You will just be wobbling a bit in a BIG bowl of jelly

It was a bl@@dy huge jelly bit I survived, l feel very proud of myself. I was relieved when we landed as it was very rough. I drove back to work afterwards and my hands were still shaking when I got back. But.... i am fine now & I knew my life was never in danger. That's just it. These things do feel very scary because they are uncomfortable. The discomfort makes you scared, or at least it makes me scared. But if I am honest I knew I would be ok.

It was odd though because each time it got worse and we wobbled about more, I kept wondering "what if I get really scared" or "what if i am so scared i didnt know what to do or how to cope" ... "what will i do, curl up in a ball", "cry, scream.......?"
    but I never get that scared in reality. instead I cope. I don't know how but I cope.

People..... I have to say ..... It's amazing what you can survive.... Really do....

Feel the fear but do it anyway....!!!!! Because you might just amaze yourself.

You Have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRAVE!!!!!

Thank you :-)

I was thinking this morning that if I needed to fly again today I'd be perfectly happy to climb aboard. Yesterday's experience did nothing to affect my confidence. If anything it strengthened my resolve.

I am going on a big holiday in just over 2 weeks. Very long transatlantic flights. It'll really test my resolve. But I am 100% up for it even if I do get stressed.

I think anyone could be stressed over a big holiday, as in the amount of planning & effort required to get yourself there. Considering how scared of flying I once was, I am amazed even myself at my resilience.

In many respects, I am not so much scared of flying now as I just do not like being enclosed with hundreds of people. Be that in an airport terminal or especially on a plane. Knowing the flight will last a set time. Knowing I can't get off. I don't like that bit what can I do? Not a lot.

I will pass the time by busying myself writing letters, listening to music & hopefully sleeping too. Never slept on a plane ever. I hope this time it will happen.

The thing is, it's a means to an end isn't it?If I make the effort. If I put myself through it....
    At the end if that will be an amazing holiday full of new exciting experiences.

The countdown (that I have been trying not to think about) has truly begun.
    Yes I can feel the trip "looming in the back of my mind" but at the same time the relief if getting away from work & finally being on holiday is also there up with it.

I have been concentrating on each day, just getting through that. work is really stressful at the moment But at last there is light at the end of my tunnel.

Oh you are sounding sooooo positive and the holiday is going to get you away from the stress of work for a while

Well that's it isn't it? Focus on the positive. There is so much of it too.
    It's a case of deliberately bringing the positive into your thinking every day.

so true...feel the fear and do it and enjoy it

UPDATE: If I look back now & read the posts I put up regarding my fear of flying, I feel as if I am a totally different person. And indeed I am where this is concerned. The number of times I hear people say "feel the fear and do it anyway". Well, I am so glad I did face my fear. First time I flew on my own I was riddled with fear & anxiety. These days I do it pretty near once a week for work. I have no pre-flight fear at all. Zero per cent.
    I am able enjoy my trips. I get to the airport early & have a coffee. I am in my own little world in the departure lounge. I keep an eye on the time & am mindful of listening out for anything affecting my flight. Other than that, I am in my own little happy world.
    During the flight, even if something hitherto scary happens, I simply take it in my stride. OK, sometimes the plane has a bump or we bank steeply & I am perhaps looking at the ground! Yeah in that "moment" it is something my brain says is scary. Well of course it would seem scary because flying isnt necessarily natural for humans. Unlike birds we have to use machines to do it. But I know (in my mind) I am safe. Very safe.
    My conclusion is this..............
    As I have said before you get out there and do it.
    Whatever is holding you back - you can overcome it.
    It will be thoughts that are stopping you.
    Thoughts that seem founded on definite facts but in reality what is stopping you is nothing factual at all.
    If you break things down into facts & be simplistic & realistic, you CAN overcome the hurdles you have that stop you enjoying things or doing things you wish you could.
    Often once you try these things you can (like me) come to really enjoy them.
    Flying for me is now the highlight of my week.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread Information