Thread: Hereditary Transmission

Hereditary Transmission

Hi all,

I wanted to ask about people's experiences regarding the above.

My Father has suffered terribly from a Panic Disorder all of his life and has never arrived at a solution, he has now passed into OCD. You will appreciate that this has had a huge impact on our family.

I have also been diagnosed with P/D and on reflection I have had this since I was a kid. Its taken quite a few years into adulthood to actually get my situation sorted.

I'm now worried that if I have kids at some point that I might pass it onto them.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had a similar experiences ?

Thx in advance,
    Michael.

hi,,

i would not try to worry about your children,
    i personally dont think it is heredatry ,,

trevor,

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

My mother has suffered from Anxiety and Panic Disorder since I was five years old (I'm nearly 52). I grew up thinking nothing was that much out of the ordinary and so just accepted that my mum didn't do the things with me that I saw my friends do with their mothers. But when I asked questions I was never given an explanation and always told 'We don't talk about it because it will upset mum'. It's only since last year that I've realised that's probably why I went AWOL recently - because we never talked about it and therefore she never sought or received help (not that there was much back then).

I agree with Trevor, inasmuch as I think the effects of PD in a parent can influence your life without being directly 'passed on' genetically. I think the very fact that you are here on NMP shows that your children stand a very good chance of NOT being affected adversely!

Take Care!

xx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

Definitely hereditary in my case -- my dad suffered from almost exactly the same problems...

My mother suffered from what she called (in those old days) "bad nerves" and spent about 20 years on valium. I now suffer from p/d or 'bad nerves' - I'm not saying this is hereditary as I'm no geneticist but it could be ...... on the other hand it could be a behaviour I have learned from her??? Interestingly, one of my kids is starting to display anxiety type behaviour and I feel so guilty about it.

Kay

Hi Michael

Not sure I can help with this one. My little girl is a bit of a worrier (I always have been to even before anxiety). I wonder if I pass my nervous behaviour onto her. But I don't think the illness itself goes too. At least I hope not!!

Though they do say depression is more likely if a parent has had it. My mum had depression and so have I. I think trying to hide the depression and worry because of social insecurity brought about my panic attacks. So is depression linked with anxiety?

Lisa.

Where does it come from?

COULD ME SON HAVE THE SAME AS ME ?

There is proof that the incidence within close blood relatives is higher than with friends etc

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

Thread Information