Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCARED TO FEEL POSITIVE!

SCARED TO FEEL POSITIVE!

Hi all,

I feel a bit silly[] writing this but I wondered if anyone else has experienced this kind of thing!

I feel that I am scared to be Positive in case I have a panic attack.:( I find that I get odd surges of positivity then all of a sudden something happens and I am left feeling anxious and low.

For instance the other night I was feeling quite positive and felt I could deal with the anxiety. I typed a letter to a penfriend who is also a sufferer and gave her advice and I read it to my hubby and he could not believe I wrote it. He said is that really you talking as the letter was so positive. Anyway my Hubby went to work as he was on nights, & I went to bed feeling pretty pleased and still positive!!

Suddenly though I woke an hour later in a real panic heart racing, pain in my chest I felt trapped and really strange. Anyway I did some breathing and took some Bach flower remedy and I stopped it from going into a full blown Panick attack![^]

The silly thing is though now i have been feeling scared to feel positive in case I get knocked down again. It's like the anxiety is paying me back for feeling positive! (if that makes sense)![}]

My rational mind is saying don't believe it! But unfortantly my irrational mind is taking over and saying its true!:(

Any thoughts would be appreciated please to help my muddled brain LOL thank you [B)]

Sorry 4 waffaling [|)]

Take care all

Love PIP'S XX [:X]

Hi Pips,
    I can really relate to that one. I feel it is as if the panic has to try to reasert [sp] itself[V]. Especially after a really good day. I'm sure someone will give us a good explanation for this.

hope you feel good today,
    love Tess x

Hi,

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I can feel really great for a few days and weeks but I don't like to get too excited in case the anxiety comes back which it usually does. I suppose we should make the most of the times when things are good and not anticipate having anxiety and panic attacks and things going wrong again.

Hiya

Pips - Im sorry you had a knockback the other night. Thats all it was tho hun, a knockback, you will be up there again in no time.

I think its very common to have a good day/few days and then BAM, out of the blue comes a panic. I feel like this too.

You are definately right Hazel about making the most of the good days. I think that the more you enjoy these days, the more good times and successes you have to look back on to keep egging you on.
    The more you 'sit and wait' for the next panic, the less time you will be spending enjoying your life.

take care all
    love sarah
    xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution

quote:You are definately right Hazel about making the most of the good days. I think that the more you enjoy these days, the more good times and successes you have to look back on to keep egging you on.
    That is brilliant, Sarah and Hazel. I too, have been treading lightly through the good days, for fear of the panic rushing back and slapping me down, but that's so silly. Thank you.

Hi Folks

I feel exactly the same too - I have a good day and then its like I get let down with a PA the next one. Sarah and Hazel are bang on though, the more time we spend worrying about panic the less our quality of life will be. If its any help, my counsellor says that such feelings are common in anxious people but that we should tell ourselves that we do deserve to be positive and to be happy so next time you feel a bit worried about being optimistic just tell yourself that there's no reason whatsoever that you shouldn't.

Well done by the way on fending off your panic attack, that is really something to be proud of.

Love Jo xxx

quote:Well done by the way on fending off your panic attack, that is really something to be proud of.
    Yes, I forgot to mention that! I will have to try Rescue Remedy. My only recourse so far has been Xanax, and I try to avoid that as much as possible.

Thank you so much Tess,Hazel,Sarah,Lilith and Jo, for all your kind words, they are much appreciated.

What you all say makes absolute sense! I must admit though I do tend to dwell and worry far to much and wait for the next dreaded P/A! Which I know makes this 100 times worse!

I suffer with Irritable Bowel Syndrome also. At present it has particularly bad with exstreme discomfort and bloating. I find I am often more anxious and depressed as I feel it rules my life most of the time!

Must keep tellimg myself there is nothing to FEAR!

Thanks all once again for all your thoughts and advice they are much appreciated!

I hope you are all well

Take care

Love PIP'S XX

Is IBS due to stress? I'm just wondering, as I have a couple of stress-related problems myself. What I'm wondering is, is the panic/anxiety due to stress? Or is the stress due to panic/anxiety?

Hi Lilith,

Well the only way I can describe it is my IBS is a condition which means is pretty much there most of the time. I do find that if I am more anxious or stressed it flares up more. Some days even when I am calm (well as calm as I can be) LOL I find my stomach still gets bloated crampy & uncomfotable. Which upsets me but if I get anxious over this it becomes worse!

Your stress related problems could work both ways really I would say Yes to both of them!

It's like a visious circle Yes you could well feel anxious & panicky if you are stressed but vice/versa having panic and anxiety is enough to stress anyone out.

So I know this might seem like you are in a bit of a no win situation really.

The best advice I can give you is to try and stay calm and let it go along with you as I know it's hard but the more you fight the anxiety & stress the harder it is to deal with. I think the key is learning to accept it I am still mastering that one!

I hope you are well

Take care Pip's XX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information