Thread: Really safe?

Really safe?

I've been on 10mg of Citalopram for about 8 months now and it's worked wonders for my health anxiety and depression but I discovered something very distressing today. Apparently Citalopram is known to give people heart conditions or cause sudden cardiac arrest? It's obviously not as simple as that and it probably only effects people with conditions already, but still, I wouldn't mind knowing exactly what I've gotten myself into. My doctor wants me to up my dose to 20mg but it isn't currently a good time, and if the drug is more dangerous than I originally though then I'll see my doctor about tapering myself off.

Another quick question while I'm here, am I allowed to drink Powerade and Lucozade while on Cit? Thanks.

Re: Really safe?

This was only at 60mg and higher doses. The maximum was reduced in recent years to 40mg. I hope this puts your mind at rest. Energy drinks have no interaction as far as I am aware but should not be taken daily as they are a stimulant and not great for anxiety.

Ah ok then, thanks. I wasn't sure because while the article did mention about it being 60mg, it also noted some kind of effect on a dose as low as 20mg but not sure if it was serious or just heart flutters or something. I think because the article was from last year they didn't mention the maximum dose being reduced as that probably happened afterwards.

Don't worry! I was on 20mg for 11 years. It's fine. Serenitie is correct, it was the 60mg dose that was seen to have that link.

You're all good my friend!
    x

iam concerned about the link with heart trouble as iam already on a heart monitor yet they have given me 10mg of this for panic attacks. i me i dont want to take anything that can make things worse

Hi mrsnobody,

I know I posted lots of bad side effects I was having in the other thread earlier, but I too read about the heart palpitations as a side effect and have not had any since taking the medication if it is of any comfort to you. I have had ectopic beats/irregular heart beat since I was 18 (had loads of tests, and they showed up on the heart monitor) and the doctor has 'cardiac arrythmia' on my records. I don't know what condition you have (I have been told mine is benign (PVCS)), but just wanted to reassure you as it was too a concern of mine (I'm guessing they wouldn't have prescribed them if there was any danger!). As others have said, 10mg is a very low dose

Catherine x

thankyou catherine84 for your advice

Thread Information