Thread: What Does AF Feel Like?

What Does AF Feel Like?

Hi All,

As an anxiety sufferer, and a sufferer of numerous heart beat issues, I would like to ask what AF feels like. I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is AF or not but would like some advice.

Recently I've been getting short attacks of a fast, irregular heartbeat. The longest attack lasted about 5 seconds. It feels like a fluttering in my chest, and when I take my pulse during the attack it's sporadic, I can't even feel a consistent beat it's like lots of skipped heartbeats in fast succession.

Is this typical of AF? I need to get an appointment with my doctor but I'm waiting to get registered. I assume it will be in a couple of weeks.

Re: What Does AF Feel Like?

Hi there JamesJ

I was just this week diagnosed with AF - and turns out that I had a pulse rate that was fluctuating almost constantly between 90 and 130 (and probably had been for several months) - when the normal resting beat rate should be under 70. I spent a lot of time looking into the condition, and one thing you can see on the Wikipedia entry for AF is that episodes of heart palpitations that last less than 30 seconds do not really count as AF. I could feel the kind of palpitations you describe for very long periods at a time, up to several hours.

Still, it sounds like you're doing the right thing going to see your doctor. And don't worry about it - AF seems to be easily treatable with the right drugs.

iam glad to hear postive comments about af like its treatable as i worry about my heat. got a event monitor at moment as i keep having slow/fast beats

Sorry for the delay in responding.

These episodes seem to have stopped now, although I have no doubt they will come back with vengeance! I don't know what caused them, but the past week my heart beat issues have been much less. Hopefully they stay that way!

I agree about going to the doc just in case... I had a relative who had AF but hers would last so long she would pass out. She's got it treated and is fine now.

Thread Information