Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Stop thinking about yourself" "Youre spoiling it for everybody else" etc etc

Re: "Stop thinking about yourself" "Youre spoiling it for everybody else" etc etc

well said , it feels as though im being fobbed off from 1 doctor to another ,the pyschiatrist keeps on cancelling appointments , a doctor who says she ring me on Monday , still hasnt and when i feel paranoia even at its worst , im told its all in my head !! grrrrr !!! course it is , thats where my mind is duhhhh !! xx sorry/rant xx

Re: "Stop thinking about yourself" "Youre spoiling it for everybody else" etc etc

I am fortunate in having several friends and a partner who understand and are sympathetic towards my depression and I feel certain Sarahlou that if I added you to my list of friends you would be ultra sympathetic and kind since clearly you would know only too well how difficult it is.
    My father always states that "depression is a state of mind" and to some degree he is right but he delivers his statement in a cold and emotionless way that just cuts me dead every time. Over the years he's failed to support my mothers emotional needs. Even though he has always looked after her practical needs I can see that she has become isolated and at times depressed although when I have tried to ask if she is ok, she has always insisted she is but I can sense otherwise.
    Worse is that being depressed and having listened to attitudes like his, you can't help internalising these messages and then become your own critic.
    It's sad that so many of us can't shake off that feeling and shut down these "critical voices of old". But it's so difficult.
    Also that in the present while we are trying to deal with a disease, just like people who have physical condition that others can see, there are those that you talk about Sarahlou who just cannot relate to the difficulties we encounter & fight against every day. I believe many of them deny depression exists as they are fearful of it themselves but to admit that would mean they too are at risk of suffering from it & of course it would become a reality.
    So to them all I say ....PULL YOUR BLDY SOCKS UP AND GRW SOME BALL$.

My biggest annoyance is with people who think you should be able to overcome panic disorder with an act of willpower. No matter how many times you explain that panic is an unconscious response and forcing yourself through full on panics only makes things worse they still seem to think that you just need to apply willpower :( If you had been carrying a physical injury around for 25 odd years you would be having all sorts of physiotherapy and corrective surgery and the like to sort it out but when it's your brain that's the problem then it's obviously just a simple case of use some willpower

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information