Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATOS Assessment

ATOS Assessment

Hi all

I know this has been posted many times before but I wanted to ask if anyone had a positive ATOS experience and then felt it was too good to be true?

I had my assessment yesterday for severe anxiety and panic attacks and had to travel 25 miles with my mum to get there so you can imagine what a state I was in. The lady that saw me was really nice and listened to everything I said and was sympathetic as her daughter has bipoplar. I think I managed to explain myself well and she said she didn't need to ask me anymore as she could see I was distressed and she felt she had enough info. She also said she was fairly confident I would pass, although it wasn't up to her.

I left feeling much calmer about the whole thing but i've read such awful things about ATOS being two faced during assessments and now i'm questioning whether she was actually telling the truth. Has anyone else had a similar experience only to find out later they've been failed?

Thank you lovely people

Re: ATOS Assessment

Mine went a lot better than I had expected and I was assessed as being able to claim ESA in the working group.

I would love to have one of the assessors you two have had. Due to my Dysphagia and anxiety related to it (not forgetting my Panic/Anxiety disorder on top of this) I am losing at least 1 stone per month, and twice I have lost almost a stone in a week, yet I was put into the work group with a 6 month prognosis, meaning I will be back at ATOS within 3/4 months.

I am currently appealing as I have 3 definate support group descriptors, and due to the fact that I took 6 letters from medical professionals which seem to have been completely ignored. Its been marked as urgent for the reconsideration process, but if that fails its going to tribunal, and I have professional support for this.

It seems I could be wheeled into the assessment dead, and still be passed fit for the work group. They are such a bunch of jokers.

Im glad your condition was taken seriously Annie, and Melina it seems to have gone ok for you, now please send your assessors my way for the next one please

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:34 ----------

Oh, and I received a letter last week summoning me to a work focused interview and telling me I will be put onto the work programme, not bad for someone that can barely eat or drink, and at times can't swallow their own saliva. I rang them and told them what they can do with their work programme and the manager of the dwp centre has deferred the interviews until after reconsideration has taken place.

Dazza I had to go to the job centre on Tuesday for a work related activity interview. Again I got a lovely lady who said she won't send me on any work related activities as she thinks I have enough with my psychotherapy and physio.

You are extremely lucky Annie, I think they were planning to send me to do some charity work at a shop somewhere. Now if I was able to work I'd get my own job, with a decent salary, not work for free. No offence to people who volunteer at charity shops, but I'm highly qualified and I certainly wouldn't be working for free. If I could work I'd do it for real.

I know what you mean Dazza. She asked me what my qualifications are and I was reeling them all off then I started to crying thinking "What the hell am I doing in here!"

Was the advisor about half your age Annie? They are usually kids telling adults what to do, and if you dont go along with them then they threaten to stop your benefits. I was always told and made aware that the work programme was voluntary, yet my letter told me I was being put on it.

Sorry to have jumped onto your thread Melina, if you assessor told you you'd pass then its likely, it just depends which group and for how long. Assessors do lie, but not in this way, so fingers crossed. Just be prepared for what comes next, because I will assume youd be put into the work group, and that means work programme, volunteer work etc, they dont just leave you be. If you get put into the work group and feel you should be in the support group, you need to appeal, and get help with your appeal from CAB. Dont do it alone because its more difficult.

I hope you get a letter soon, and I hope its good news

Hi MelindaJane
    I was just the same nervous as hell couldn't even sit in the waiting room. I had a lovely young nurse she was kind and sympathetic. apologised for having to put me through the assessment. I thought it was too good to be true. But I noticed a text yesterday evening I quote "you have been awarded work related activity component.you do not need to send fit notes until further notice." from esa claims. I guess this means they found against me !
    Last edited by han76; 15-03-13 at 10:03.

Thanks so much for all your replies and for putting my mind at rest
    It does seem that a lot depends on the assessor and whether they are understanding or not. I have no expectations of being put into the support group - i'd just be happy to be given anything! I'm on contributions based so I can only claim until July anyway so there is only so much longer they can harrass me for!

---------- Post added at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by han76 View Post
    Hi MelindaJane
    I was just the same nervous as hell couldn't even sit in the waiting room. I had a lovely young nurse she was kind and sympathetic. apologised for having to put me through the assessment. I thought it was too good to be true. But I noticed a text yesterday evening I quote "you have been awarded work related activity component.you do not need to send fit notes until further notice." from esa claims. I guess this means they found against me !
    Yay! So relieved for you! Let's hope my outcome is as good

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    Mine went a lot better than I had expected and I was assessed as being able to claim ESA in the working group.
    Thanks Annie, I hope my result is the same

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza123 View Post
    I would love to have one of the assessors you two have had. Due to my Dysphagia and anxiety related to it (not forgetting my Panic/Anxiety disorder on top of this) I am losing at least 1 stone per month, and twice I have lost almost a stone in a week, yet I was put into the work group with a 6 month prognosis, meaning I will be back at ATOS within 3/4 months.

I am currently appealing as I have 3 definate support group descriptors, and due to the fact that I took 6 letters from medical professionals which seem to have been completely ignored. Its been marked as urgent for the reconsideration process, but if that fails its going to tribunal, and I have professional support for this.

It seems I could be wheeled into the assessment dead, and still be passed fit for the work group. They are such a bunch of jokers.

Im glad your condition was taken seriously Annie, and Melina it seems to have gone ok for you, now please send your assessors my way for the next one please

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:34 ----------

Oh, and I received a letter last week summoning me to a work focused interview and telling me I will be put onto the work programme, not bad for someone that can barely eat or drink, and at times can't swallow their own saliva. I rang them and told them what they can do with their work programme and the manager of the dwp centre has deferred the interviews until after reconsideration has taken place.
    Thanks for your replies Dazza - i'm so sorry you have had such an awful time. This is why i can't understand the nice lady I had - i feel so guilty about it! Stay strong

Don't feel guilty, you were lucky, that's great!

With contributions based, if you can get into the support group, your payments wont stop, they go on as before, so if you get put into wrag and feel you have support group descriptors appeal it, you have nothing to lose, and continued payments to gain!!!

I will be fine, I should get into the support group, I have lots of evidence and legal backup, but even if I don't I will tell them to shove it and live frugally until I am able to get better and get back into work. My family can financially support me to an extent until I'm back on track. Thank god for families

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information