Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram To Escitalopram help

Citalopram To Escitalopram help

Hi guys.

Without repeating myself too much, started Escitalopram when I was 17, then about 6 years later it got changed to Citalopram (cost cutting measures!) didn't notice anything, stayed on the SSRI till I was 28.
    Stopped taking Cit, then a few months later had a massive out of the blue mental breakdown. Came back on the Citalopram but over 2 months in and it clearly wasn't working. I asked to be put on Escitalopram.

Only on day 2 but I expected a bit more of a smooth transition between the medications. I'm really struggling with the side effects all over again as I was when I started taking Citalopram over 2 months ago.

On the same dosage (20mg Cit to 10mg Escit)

Is this normal? Can I hear other peoples stories of changing over? Have you all suffered side effects to start with or not at all??

I feel like ripping all my hair out as I'm getting worse!

Steven
    xxx

Re: Citalopram To Escitalopram help

Give it time mate.... It's only been two days. Will take a couple of weeks most likely.

Yeah I expect it to. I just thought because it's almost the same drug that I wouldn't 'go through the motions' again of the start up side effects of increased anxiety, nausea and sickness and no appetite.

Just wanted to know if other people experienced any of the start of side effects of a straight swap from Cit to Escit.

I know that I'm bloody happy to be off that AWFUL cheap and nasty citalopram even though I feel worse right now. That was putting me slowly through more and more hell despite being a wonder drug for many years for me!

You could be withdrawing from the Cit too Steveo and even when I increase my Escitalopram by a quarter I get side effects again for a few weeks....good luck, hope Escitalopram really helps you once it settles xxx

So has anyone else here done this route from Cit to Escit or some other SSRI to Escit?

I am at the end of my tether :( I'm worried that if the Escit doesn't work then I'm only willing to try one more SSRI.

I'm worried that 11 years of being on SSRI's have damaged me in some way and ruined my serotonin levels have adapted. I really hope that an SSRI can get me back to some sort of health again :(

I've gone from Prozac before onto Citalopram as I thought I'd feel better on another SSRI but still went through the same heightened anxiety etc and even though Escitalopram is very like Citlaopram, it's not quite the same but for me it was personally more tolerable to start up on, not easy but not hell like the other SSRI's I tried and it took me about 6 full weeks before I truly felt much better even though I'm 4 months on it now and still if-y for an hour when I wake up so I am increasing yet again this coming week but Escitalopram def has helped me such a lot Stevo to lead a much better life than I was living this time last year when y anxiety was triggered again. Stick with it and it will get easier but expect it to be a bit like a roller coaster here and there. Are you taking anything else to help you with the start up?

Yeah I got diazapam but it's starting to lose it's efficiency a bit because I've been using it for a month to get me on Citalopram. That was hell so now I'm having to carry on using it to see me through to the Escitalopram.

I really didn't expect this much of a change over! It's not as bad as when I started Citalopram a few months back.

Just starting to get a bit upset by everything. I didn't expect any of this after being anxiety free for so many years and just coming off my meds slowly. I didn't expect to land up in this much hell. And to know that things have to get worse before they get better is scary because I'm not sure how things can get much worse.

Hey there
    I ve done cit to cipralex and although its very similar, you do get side effects like any drug. You may be having withdrawals plus start up effects but dont be disheartened as before you realise it the side effects will be gone. Anxiety maybe heightened for few days but try and get through it and stick it out for a few weeks and each day you will start to feel effects less. Give it time

Babs are you still wanting to cut your Escitalopram down?

The worst side effects only last a few days for me Stevo and then subsided, you will be ok, I know it's hard but you will son feel much better. (:

You guys were right. My anxiety has reduced slowly over these last few days and my appetite has very slowly come back. I'm by no means a 'fixed' person but I'm no longer curled up in a ball crying my eyes out.

I've just had such a horrible 2 and a half months that to go even lower again when starting Escitalopram was just a dreadful feeling.

Thanks everyone. I just hope this continues for me.

Steven x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information