Thread: Is it possible to overcome contamination OCD in a dirty home?

Is it possible to overcome contamination OCD in a dirty home?

OCD (or at least I think it is) is driving me insane! I am staying with my mum. I have problems with her house. Her bath mat is going mouldy, she doesn't clean the bathroom sink and taps, the toilet had black stuff growing inside it until last week (I assume it hadn't been cleaned in a month or so), there are pubic hairs near the flush, there is black stuff on the sides of the bath (maybe soap scum?), bathroom floor is never mopped but is sometimes swept, the bins in the kitchen have black dirt all over them, the kitchen lino hasn't been cleaned in over a year (visible dirt on it), the fridge is visibly dirty on the outside and inside (the inside probably gets cleaned every 6 months), the kitchen is partly carpeted and the carpet is dirty (no amount of vacumming gets rid of the bits of food etc that are on it), if things are spilt on the carpet it doesn't get wiped, some of the light switches have visible black dirt on them (a lot of it!), she doesn't always wash her hands with soap before handling food, she washes her bed sheets around once every three months and she is a hoarder! She had a new carpet put into her living room this year, but I won't walk barefoot on it because she tramples on it with her slippers that she wears on the other dirty floors in the house (she used to wear her slippers and then put her feet in the kitchen bins to push the rubbish down) and that living room carpet gets vacuumed once a week. There are always crumbs and things on it. If I see her touching the floor and then the doorknobs, i won't touch them. If I do, i wash my hands straight after (I only feel the need to wash them once). I haven't been to see my doctor, but I'm pretty sure I have OCD. Has anyone overcome OCD whilst living in a dirty environment?

Thanks for reading

Re: Is it possible to overcome contamination OCD in a dirty home?

Hello there

Therapy for OCD will ordinarily entail a degree of exposure. It sounds to me to be the ideal place.

After all, if your catastrophising thoughts haven't come to pass within a short time they'll be shown to be false.

Focus on how grubby the place is and how you still manage to survive in good health. Force yourself to use a doorknob and accept the anxiety whilst refusing to wash your hands for an hour afterwards. Practise some yogic breathing whilst doing this, and similar things, and praise yourself copiously for having braved them.

Best wishes. You can do it.

Paul

Thread Information