Thread: Medication side effects

Medication side effects

Has anyone experienced nasty side effects from anxiety/depression medication?

I went on Escitalopram 10mg on Friday morning and by 11am my teeth were chattering whenever I talked, my stomach and esophagus felt like they were burning, my knees killed and I only used the bathroom once all day despite having about 6 glasses of water or tea. Very weird. I only took one pill and have stopped because I was worried these side effects weren't normal. I know your body takes a while to adjust to medication but I didn't want to spend the next week or so feeling like that. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Did you carry on? How long did it take for your body to adjust?

Re: Medication side effects

Before you take another dose, call NHS Direct or your doctor to find out whether this is side effects or a bad reaction. If its a bad reaction, they'll tell you to stop and they'll be able to prescribe you something else which may suit you better. If its just side effects, they'll probably to tell you to continue taking them and the side effects should subside after a few days.

I'm surprised you had this reaction as escit is usually one of the better tolerated meds. Anyway, see what your doctor or NHS Direct tells you to do.

Thread Information