Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why am i too sensitive and easily hurt

why am i too sensitive and easily hurt

i have a very sensitive and easily hurt nature and I can't tell if this is the real me or if its something wrong with me, i just can't seem to stop feeling hurt by other peoples' comments - i think it boils down to an intense need for reassurance, it has its root in family life where my brother was always cricitising me, he just never stopped and it really got to me, i don't have any more contact with him because of this problem, i like myself having a sensitive nature but it causes me such anxiety as i don't work because of how i react to other peoples' comments

Re: why am i too sensitive and easily hurt

Quote Originally Posted by manwithnoname View Post
    i have a very sensitive and easily hurt nature and I can't tell if this is the real me or if its something wrong with me, i just can't seem to stop feeling hurt by other peoples' comments - i think it boils down to an intense need for reassurance, it has its root in family life where my brother was always cricitising me, he just never stopped and it really got to me, i don't have any more contact with him because of this problem, i like myself having a sensitive nature but it causes me such anxiety as i don't work because of how i react to other peoples' comments
    I have always been like this , I am so sensitive and over analyse everything people say. I only remember the negative things people say about me and forget the positive ones. I dwell for hours on things people say if someone criticizes my appearance it makes me scared to leave the house.
    I do work but I struggle with trying to be 100 percent perfect all the time as I can't bear to be told I have done something wrong.
    I don't know about you but I think I am just made this way, I mean, that it is not an illness, but I am just naturally quite a fragile person, like you though I always needed reassurance especially of my parents when I was a child (especially my dad who could be quite criticial of me)
    I don't think it is all bad though, sensitive people are usually caring and loving and considerate of others which are all good qualities.
    Last edited by almamatters; 17-03-13 at 17:40. Reason: missed a word out

I can only echo what Alma has written as I would have said the same myself. As well as being over sensitive to comments directed at me, I hate to think I have upset someone else and dwell on it for so long. I often blame myself if someone else is upset even I wasn't there at the time!!

alma, it does make me feel a bit better knowing you have the same nature, i have battled with these hurt feeling all my life and have even tried swallowing the hurt but it just seems to fester and eat me up, i think i have to let go of past hurts and try to protect myself more but i have no idea how to do that, it has ruined my working life as it seems no matter where i work i run into people that make hurtful and upsetting comments and completely ruin any prospect of doing a job of work

alma, it does make me feel a bit better knowing you have the same nature, i have battled with these hurt feeling all my life and have even tried swallowing the hurt but it just seems to fester and eat me up, i think i have to let go of past hurts and try to protect myself more but i have no idea how to do that, it has ruined my working life as it seems no matter where i work i run into people that make hurtful and upsetting comments and completely ruin any prospect of doing a job of work
    Have you had CBT or any other therapy? I am having intense psychotherapy at the moment and it is helping me to deal with these issues.

I completely understand where you are coming from, and I wish I could offer advice about how to deal with it . I think wherever you go, or are in life there will be people that will make hurtful comments, suppose it is just human nature. I try and think of it like, these people are insensitive and cannot understand how their stupid comments hurt people. I think Annie's suggestion about therapy is a good one. I had CBT a few years ago, which did help to at least improve my confidence and self esteem, during that time I was convinced I was stupid, useless, unemployable, looked terrible etc etc,
    I have had a few jobs and there is always someone who will make you feel bad (happened to me last week) I had to really fight with my feelings to be able to go in the next day and not show that my colleague had really hurt me, with a comment that most people would have laughed off.
    I am sorry that at present you are unable to work, but with a sensitive nature like yours, there are jobs that you would be brilliant at and hopefully you would be around colleagues of a similar nature.

Your not on your own here hun. I cry over everything, films, negative comments, guilt ect ect. I think mine stems from growing up with my step-dad, he was always making sarcastic comments, that could be quite hurtful, well to a child they would be. I always take things to heart and I'm always trying to please people.
    I find it very difficult to control my feelings and emotions and always end up doing something negative. I'm sorry I can't really help with this as I am the same. Just wanted you to know that your not alone on this.

Kez xx

thanks kez what you said means a lot

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

to be honest i feel like i have been chewed up and spat out with the number of hurtful comments i have endured over the years - i just can't cope with work anymore but maybe when i recover i will feel differently

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by almamatters View Post
    I completely understand where you are coming from, and I wish I could offer advice about how to deal with it . I think wherever you go, or are in life there will be people that will make hurtful comments, suppose it is just human nature. I try and think of it like, these people are insensitive and cannot understand how their stupid comments hurt people. I think Annie's suggestion about therapy is a good one. I had CBT a few years ago, which did help to at least improve my confidence and self esteem, during that time I was convinced I was stupid, useless, unemployable, looked terrible etc etc,
    I have had a few jobs and there is always someone who will make you feel bad (happened to me last week) I had to really fight with my feelings to be able to go in the next day and not show that my colleague had really hurt me, with a comment that most people would have laughed off.
    I am sorry that at present you are unable to work, but with a sensitive nature like yours, there are jobs that you would be brilliant at and hopefully you would be around colleagues of a similar nature.
    Alma I would love to know what jobs you think i might be better suited to??

Will PM you if ok

I'm quite sensitive as well, more so since I developed anxiety, I've never really understood banter, when someone starts getting personal then I don't like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information