Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pregablin withdrawal

Re: Pregablin withdrawal

I started yesterday by taking 100mg less so have taken 300mg today, I feel rubbish though not sure if it is because of this or just that I am feeling fed up generally. Feel breathless and agitated but this can be normal for me some days. Have taken 400mg today, my usual dose as am now stressed about withdrawal symptoms. Still don't have GP appointment for a couple of weeks and don't like phone appointments.
    I thought building up to my dose was difficult but now it seems cutting down is equally hard.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Just a thought....but why reduce it if it makes you feel bad? Count calories to loose weight perhaps........

I look at it like this....a diabetic has to take insulin....if you have high blood pressure you take medication...........If taking pregabalin keeps me well then I will take it for the rest of my life.

no offence

almamatters

I've just come off pregabalin in 3 days, but I wouldn't recommend it. GP OK'd it though, although TBH I'm the first person he ever prescribed it to for GAD.

There's not supposed to be a withdrawal sydrome AFAIK, so I'm not sure whether it's pregabalin withdrawal or duloxetine start up effects, but I've barely been out of bed since Wednesday morning - good job I booked leave.

SarahH - I agree with you, but I was 4 stone overweight before pregabalin, then put on 9lbs in 9 weeks, could shift it.

Lost 4lbs this week and I've only been off it 3 days, water retention of course.

Weight gain doesn't effect everyone, and even if it affects you, as you say it's a good trade off for feeling mentally better.

What have you dropped from 600mg to nil in 3 days! What kind of side effects are you getting Mark?

As you know I've been on Pregabalin for 14 weeks now, I got up to 450mg but it wasn't doing what it said on the box and I had reduced it down to 200mg and added Sertraline. I wasn't aware of any withdraw side effects but since stopping the Sertraline 7 days ago I've been through all I can describe of as hell. I have increased the Pregabalin again with no improvement and feel I now need a wash out period of all drugs before trying anything else, although copious amounts of Diazepam and Zopiclone will be consumed to 'survive' the next few days and weeks.

With hindsight I wish I'd stuck with Pregabalin only, it was better than nothing and a hundred times better than how I feel now.

When are you due to go back to work Mark?

Take care
    Sam

Hi Sam

I'm back at work on Monday, I thought 4 days at home (my wife works Saturdays) would help the transition from pregabalin to duloxetine.

To answer your question, sky high anxiety, higher than a missed dose causes.

I think it was 3 days, maybe 4, I didn't really plan it well. I had alternated 400/500/600 for a week depending on how I felt daily but then went from 600 to 500 to 200 to none.

I've had extreme anxiety, insomnia, nausea and extreme tiredness, but I think only the first of these is due to withdrawal, the others due to the new drug.

Blimey that was quick, well good luck with the Duloxetine. My next drug, which I've got a prescription for but am unsure if I am ready to take it yet is Mirtazepine, so I maybe quizzing you about that one soon
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Tufty View Post
    Blimey that was quick, well good luck with the Duloxetine. My next drug, which I've got a prescription for but am unsure if I am ready to take it yet is Mirtazepine, so I maybe quizzing you about that one soon
    Sam
    Ahh, my all time favourite sleep aid No doubt I'll see you on the mirtazapine forum shortly then

The cynic in me says that drug companies don't fund much research into withdrawal or discontinuation of their products - usually there is only a bland statement that people completing a four or six week trial discontinued without major ill effects (probably because they weren't taking the medication long enough).

My feeling is that the longer a person has been taking a medication that affects the balance of neurotransmitters, the more carefully they should approach discontinuation.

But good luck with it guys - I understand how side effects can also impact on mental health.

I've been on 300mg a day of Lyrica for just over a year. I didn't like the weight gain and although it helped some of my GAD, I felt it was making my depression a little worse so I decided to switch to Fluoxetine instead. My GP said to just half my dosage for a couple of days, then quarter it, then stop. I've honestly never been so ill in my life. I was scared. I went back on it and I'm now going to cut it down by 25mg a week. It'll take a lot longer to come off it, but I'd rather that than go through those awful withdrawal symptoms again.

So my personal advice would be to come off it slowly. From what I've read, this seems to really minimise any withdrawal symptoms.

Hi after all this time I am still on 400mg of this medication. I have had days when I have managed with one less but then felt ill the next day. I don't know if I am just really sensitive to these kind of things. A doctor I spoke to said you should not suffer too many problems coming off these tablets, but I beg to differ to be honest. My weight seems to have settled down but I wanted to try life without the meds. I don't think I am ready yet. Thanks for all the comments.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information