Thread: Vivid Dreams/Nightmares/Waking up!

Vivid Dreams/Nightmares/Waking up!

I've posted recently about vivid dreams.

I'm aware that SSRI's as well as other medications can cause vivid dreaming etc.

So for the past 2 and a half months since being back on SSRI's, when I've been able to sleep, I have dreamt for what seems to be ALL night very vividly. I'm slowly trying to get used to this, however hard and groggy it makes me feel the next day.

However, something I really don't like, is when I find myself doing something in the middle of the night. About a month ago, I woke up to find myself leant over the bed putting a t shirt on. I wasn't cold, infact I was very hot!

Last night I woke up after I leant over and turned the bedroom light on at 1:30am! I was still in some sort of a dream. I turned it back off still not realising what I'd done. I lay down and as I started to come to, I started also to panic. Had the intense rush of fear over me.

Also, many times, I've been woken by vivid dreams where I wake suddenly, and very scared and try and hide myself under the duvet in fear from something.

It really does take it out of me and I find that I'm so tired and confused throughout my day due to all of this. I'm also finding it less appealing to want to go to sleep at night from fear of what I'll do or dream about next! It's a perpetuating cycle of fear in a way, which I was doing fine to get out of until last nights bedroom light episode and nocturnal panic!

Feeling this weak and tired isn't helping my recovery and DP/DR.

Am I just making a big deal out of all this?

Re: Vivid Dreams/Nightmares/Waking up!

That sounds pretty nasty. Dream sleep isn't complete sleep so you are missing out on proper sleep here. Maybe some natural sleep aids could help you out, ones that don't interfere with the SSRIs?

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

I've tried lots of things. I also go to sleep to relaxation and meditation audio things and normally don't have too many problems falling asleep.

It's the medication that's suppressing the REM state of my sleep - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MERzOzmG8zo

This explanation is nice to know but it's unhelpful as I'm struggling with my recovery when I'm so tired in my days due to repeated wake ups and panics.

I've had the vivid dreams and woken up scared of everything. Its really weird. The first time it happened I think I must have had a nightmare but when i woke up the creepy nightmare feeling stayed with me. I remember being scared to get out of bed and not wanting to look at the rabbit charm that was sitting on my shelf. It was like when you're a kid and you really believe that there could be monsters under your bed. Reason and logic were still working but that didn't stop me from turning all the lights on!

Its 100% med related. Horrible stuff, but necessary sometimes x

Yeah you are right. It's one of those unwanted side effects I could really do without. I'd rather the nausea and stomach complaints if I had a choice! Sleeping is very very important to me. Even when I was at my very best of mental health I would be rubbish after broken sleep and bad dreams, so whilst I'm going through a mental breakdown, this is just horrible!!

I try my best not to dwell on it, I just don't understand why I turned on the light last night! I didn't mean to or think about it. It was almost like sleep walking. Grrr

Once you're getting out a bit more it'll get better. If I go through a patch of insomnia/disturbed sleep I start exercising like mad - a long run in the afternoon is the best way to get a good nights sleep. x

Thread Information