Thread: Please help...vacation turning into a disaster!

Please help...vacation turning into a disaster!

am currently away with a massive group of people (one of my closer friends, my brother, several of my brother's friends, and some people that I don't know at all). It has been one night/day and it was just traveling so far. We are now at our destination.

I didn't sleep at all last night so I am exhausted. I spent all night shivering, anxious, sick to my stomach, and with a stomachache that was painful and left me worrying all night that my stomach was going to start making loud noises. It may sound weird, but this is something I have a major fear of/problem with and is why I really prefer my own space.

I have felt somewhat sick to my stomach all day, but with ups and downs. When we got here, I developed a migraine and a killer stomachache again. I am terrified of going to bed because I don't think I will sleep even though I am sooo tired.

Its hard because there are so many of us, and we are college kids. They are all having fun and I am just a zoned out downer because I am panicking, and I feel awful. No one really gets what is up with me.

Last year I went with the same group and feared this would happen but ended up having a great time, which is why I was excited to come this year. But I am terrified I wont be able to shake this and will feel crappy the entire time and remain a downer. It doesn't help that I am 2 states away from home.

Advice/opinions? How on earth can I cope with this? We leave friday, so I have 4 nights and 3 days to get through.

Also - I am sooo tired when everyone is awake, but then we all go to bed and I start to panic because it is quiet and my stomach is messed up and then I don't sleep at all.

Re: Please help...vacation turning into a disaster!

Aw hun, that sounds rough. I know where you're coming from. I find it very difficult to relax when I'm around others unless they know my routines etc. It's easier now i'm older and married because my husband understands, but I would find it hard in a group situation. Can you do some breathing exercises to help you calm down? Put your hand on your stomach and make sure your stomach is rising as you breathe in. So often when we are anxious we clench our stomach muscles in when we draw a breath and that makes us feel more anxious. If you can consciously let your stomach muscles relax then you will feel more relaxed also. Can you give that a go? It's okay if it doesn't work, but you might as well try it.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

WAs also thinking could you make light of the situation in your mind somehow? It is kind of funny that you are worried about your stomach noises and I bet the others in teh group are all desperately trying to hold in farts etc too. So what if your stomach gurgles - if it does, just say "Sorry guys, I can't help it, you'll just have to put up with it, good night!" I remember when I was at high school I was always terrified of my stomach grumbling in a quiet classroom adn the more I tried to hold it in the more it made a noise adn the more anxious I felt! Just be upfront about it if it happens. "I have a noisy stomach - it's part of who I am, you'll just have to live with it!"

Re: Please help...vacation turning into a disaster!

Thank you so much for your kind reply. The way it has worked out, I actually have a bed on the floor in a room that is fairly far away, which is reassuring. Now hopefully I can sleep!

My biggest obstacles will be to feel less ill and enjoy myself. Especially during the day, and especially because when I get like this I can sort of zone out and I pay very little attention to others because I am so focused on just getting myself through the situation.

In any case, there will be some memories here (hopefully good!) And I keep telling myself that its only three more days...then I can go back to my own big bed in my own room.

Thread Information